What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #211 of 865
Hi guys, is there any system equalizer program that I can download from the appstore on the ipad? An equalizer that works with safari and youtube and the regular music playlist, so an equalizer that eq's everything on the ipad.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #212 of 865
If you're listening on your iMac, your best option is to use Apple's iTunes, with Sound Enhancer. The software is free with the OS.

If you're listening on an iPad, Boom is maybe your most versatile option. Not as good as an amp, but there are lots of options for EQ. They update on a regular basis

You might want to consider what kind of earpiece/earphone you're using with the iPad. Also, EQ might not be necessary; iOS already has about twenty EQ presets that might give you exactly what you want, sound wise.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #213 of 865
IMO the presets seem pretty poor.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #214 of 865
Most of the presets ARE pretty worthless, but with my Pro50's I use "treble booster" setting and it's fantastic!

It's all about finding the right setting and synergy with your personal set up.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #215 of 865
Please help. I currently use iPod nano 7th gen and klipsch s4i rugged. I am now going to buy my first headphones. I am thinking of ath m50x or something similar. I want to upgrade my iPod too. Which one should I go after, iPod touch 6 gen or iPhone 6?

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #217 of 865

I mainly listen to post rock. Bands like sigur ros, explosions in the sky, mogwai, god is an astronaut.. I also listen to Radiohead. I also listen to rock, metal,some classical, some acoustic, pop. I kinda listen to a wide variety of music.

I want to upgrade my gear. In India the new models of Sony walkman are not available. And I wouldn't want something dedicated to music only. So I bet apple is a safe choice. But is the sound from iPod touch 6g and iPhone 6 different? Also my headphone budget is 200$. Initially I have thought of m50x. Do they sound good with iPod? Are there better alternative? I am also following Sony mdr100aap but there aren't any review available yet. But few bought it and the response is positive..

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #218 of 865
I mainly listen to post rock. Bands like sigur ros, explosions in the sky, mogwai, god is an astronaut.. I also listen to Radiohead. I also listen to rock, metal,some classical, some acoustic, pop. I kinda listen to a wide variety of music.

I want to upgrade my gear. In India the new models of Sony walkman are not available. And I wouldn't want something dedicated to music only. So I bet apple is a safe choice. But is the sound from iPod touch 6g and iPhone 6 different? Also my headphone budget is 200$. Initially I have thought of m50x. Do they sound good with iPod? Are there better alternative? I am also following Sony mdr100aap but there aren't any review available yet. But few bought it and the response is positive..

Hi Arunabha and welcome to the forum.
The reason that I deleted my post was that I realised that I was not really qualified to help you.
I have a little more experience with in ears than full size headphones and have not heard the Touch.
I can only really suggest using the search function here to do a bit of research and if at all possible have a listen to stuff before you buy.
With full size headphones it should be easy to buy mail order and return if you make a mistake.
The iPhone 6 is highly regarded around here as a music source.
The 6S seems to have issues with the audio which affect some people and not others.
As I say I have not heard the Touch.
Do you want a portable set up for listening on the move or is this for home use?
Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will come along and give you better advice.
Quality music choices BTW. :)

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #219 of 865
Hi Arunabha and welcome to the forum.
The reason that I deleted my post was that I realised that I was not really qualified to help you.
I have a little more experience with in ears than full size headphones and have not heard the Touch.
I can only really suggest using the search function here to do a bit of research and if at all possible have a listen to stuff before you buy.
With full size headphones it should be easy to buy mail order and return if you make a mistake.
The iPhone 6 is highly regarded around here as a music source.
The 6S seems to have issues with the audio which affect some people and not others.
As I say I have not heard the Touch.
Do you want a portable set up for listening on the move or is this for home use?
Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will come along and give you better advice.
Quality music choices BTW. :)

Thank you sir for replying. IPod touch 6g is really cheap when compared to an iPhone 6s or 6. I do not need a phone as my current phone is working really well. In iPod 6g related thread it is mentioned that iPod 6g sound quality is also a serious improvement over the already impressive 5g. But there's no one comparing it to an iPhone 6.

IPods and iphones uses seperate DACs. So there's bound to be some change, right..

But then again iPods are more leaned towards music, so apple will never do a half ass work here..

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #220 of 865
Thank you sir for replying. IPod touch 6g is really cheap when compared to an iPhone 6s or 6. I do not need a phone as my current phone is working really well. In iPod 6g related thread it is mentioned that iPod 6g sound quality is also a serious improvement over the already impressive 5g. But there's no one comparing it to an iPhone 6.

IPods and iphones uses seperate DACs. So there's bound to be some change, right..

But then again iPods are more leaned towards music, so apple will never do a half ass work here..

The idevices, iphone/ipod/ipad have been audibly transparent devices for several generations, (not withstanding the noise issue with the iphone 6s, task switching, which would appear to be an internal shielding issue). I seriously doubt there is any audible difference between an iphone/ipod 5 and iphone/ipod 6 when tested properly, ie: level matched and blind. People only ever manage to differentiate differences when, 1) they know what they're listening to and 2) they don't level match, so normal audiophile delusion.

I can't help you with the headphones, this is such a personal, subjective matter, all I can advise, is go listen.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #221 of 865
The idevices, iphone/ipod/ipad have been audibly transparent devices for several generations, (not withstanding the noise issue with the iphone 6s, task switching, which would appear to be an internal shielding issue). I seriously doubt there is any audible difference between an iphone/ipod 5 and iphone/ipod 6 when tested properly, ie: level matched and blind. People only ever manage to differentiate differences when, 1) they know what they're listening to and 2) they don't level match, so normal audiophile delusion.

I can't help you with the headphones, this is such a personal, subjective matter, all I can advise, is go listen.

Thank you sir. I guess I will just go with iPod touch. It will be better choice for me as I don't need a phone.

Well as for trying the headphones. I live in a quite obscure place in India and so I only have to rely on online shopping. I was hoping for an overall good quality headphones. It is going to be my first. So some suggestions is fine. I listen to kinda all kinds of music. My budget is 200$...

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #222 of 865
Thank you sir. I guess I will just go with iPod touch. It will be better choice for me as I don't need a phone.

Well as for trying the headphones. I live in a quite obscure place in India and so I only have to rely on online shopping. I was hoping for an overall good quality headphones. It is going to be my first. So some suggestions is fine. I listen to kinda all kinds of music. My budget is 200$...

Regarding the player, I would definitely go with what works for you budget wise and not worry about small differences.
The headphones are much more problematic IMHO. Comfort plays a part.
If you go for full size you may well need an amp. Depends on the sensitivity of the phones.
You haven't said whether you are looking for portable or home use.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #223 of 865
Regarding the player, I would definitely go with what works for you budget wise and not worry about small differences.
The headphones are much more problematic IMHO. Comfort plays a part.
If you go for full size you may well need an amp. Depends on the sensitivity of the phones.
You haven't said whether you are looking for portable or home use.

Choosing the correct headphones is really problematic. I mainly looking for home as I have a quite decent earphones. But I would appreciate light weight headphones and comfort really matters. A member here is recommending me ath m40x. According to him it is balanced and actually sounds better than m50x. The review do says it sounds balanced. I have seen the fr curve. It is kinda the same as m50x but shifted a bit down so the peaks aren't as prominent as the m50x. As I mostly listen to post rock, what would be my good choice of headphones. Will m40x be good?

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #224 of 865
Choosing the correct headphones is really problematic. I mainly looking for home as I have a quite decent earphones. But I would appreciate light weight headphones and comfort really matters. A member here is recommending me ath m40x. According to him it is balanced and actually sounds better than m50x. The review do says it sounds balanced. I have seen the fr curve. It is kinda the same as m50x but shifted a bit down so the peaks aren't as prominent as the m50x. As I mostly listen to post rock, what would be my good choice of headphones. Will m40x be good?

I reckon take a deep breath and order both the ATH from Amazon and send back the one you do not like.
As I said, I have only a little experience of full size.
I went for the Sennheisser HD 600 and reckon it would be hard to beat. It's outside your budget and open so leaks sound badly. Not suited for outdoor use but lovely indoors. They are also a bit bass shy and really need an amp to shine.
I have heard various models from Beyerdynamic and liked them very much. They do a low impedance closed back DT770 80 ohm which I think will run off an iPod.
All parts on the Sennys and the Beyers are replaceable.
I hope that helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #225 of 865
Thank you sir. I don't have that much budget right now to be able to order both. But that would have been ideal. I too consider the beyerdynamic dt770 pro. But they are not available for shipping to my area. A bit sad really. I was seriously considering the hd598. But I guess it will require an amp and not ideal to be driven by iPod. I will get aa decent setup and a very good headphone when I will get a decent job. As my first pair I just want an upgrade from klipsch s4i rugged. And I guess that is not a tough thing considering s4i rugged has a very v shaped response. Thank you sir for your valuable time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back