What is the Sexiest Looking DAP?
May 31, 2005 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
In the airport the other day, I saw a guy who was dressed like a rock star and looked like a young Bono with a very interesting device around his neck. I did not want to invade his privacy too much but it looked to me like a music player of some sort, primarily due to the earbuds coming out of it.

The device was about the size of a mid-size cell phone. It was shiny black and was rectangular but the top and bottom were rounded. I've tried to search for an image but couldn't find one that matches it. The closest I've found is the Sony PSP but I don't think that's what it was as it didn't seem to have a big color screen like a PSP, although I could have been looking at the back of it.

Does anyone have any clue as to what it might be? Additionally, what do you think is the best looking DAP? I'm primarily interested in smaller flash type players but please feel free to list your favorite and don't be afraid to include a picture.

May 31, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 21
it could have been a funky korean/japanese flash MP3 player. they come in all sorts of funky shapes-on-strings these days, too many to count. he probably only had enough memory on that thing for his demo album tho lol.

May 31, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 21
n106sd.jpg

IRIVER N10 ?
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 21
The Sony/Ericson S710a Cameraphone:

30980666-2-300-front-2.gif

?

Apparently it plays mp3's too!

May 31, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 21
The E507 comes with a clip, and as it arrives has no facility for wearing around the neck. Personally, I feel that the iRiver N10 / iPod Shuffle level is the maximum weight I can tolerate around my neck, as if you start running for a bit, the player starts hitting you in the chest.

The iRiver N10 is the nicest looking player in general I've come across to date. It's remarkably restrained for an iRiver design (I could say the same for the H10), although once you get past the looks it has iRiver's H1/3xx remote-style OS, a travesty of user interface design. On the face of it, there's not that much to see. But when seen for real it's just a very simple, well executed look that I really like.

n10-bd-q010.jpg

The N10 is also one of the smallest flash players currently available, so it wouldn't have been 'the size of a mid size cellphone'.

May 31, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 21
Right now that recabled Qualia is screaming "What am I plugged into here! Get me outta here!"

May 31, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Right now that recabled Qualia is screaming "What am I plugged into here! Get me outta here!"

Actually, the iRiver is probably saying "What the hell kind of alien artifact did you just plug into me? While you're at it, get me a headphone that doesnt sound like you are spelunking in a cave!"
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 21
Perhaps, my memory is not as good as I thought. I suppose the N10 looks the closest to what I saw in terms of shape but was a bit more rounded on both ends, whereas the N10 seems rounded only on the bottom. It seemed to be a bit thicker and beefer than an N10 also and I did not see any screen but it could have been facing the man's chest. It was also very shiny black, almost like a black laquer, with silver accents.

May 31, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 21
1) Can be any chinese/taiwanese knockoffs. there's a lot of mp3 players out there that is unknown to the most of us.
we may never know unless you ask the guy who wore it.

2) It could be the SE cellphone (w/c is rounded @ both ends), Since some like theirs (cellphones) dangling on their necks..

OT:
Also.. hanging a PSP on your neck?!? wont that guy have a stiff neck or break his head off his shoulders?
(i'd dare not hang a SP on my neck, more so a PSP)
OT2:
That Iriver is down on it's knees, saying "i'm not worthy!"...
(of course, i havent heard the qualia yet..)

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 21
just before i say anything, i am asian! i say this so i dont sound racist to asians.

as someone commented above about asian and their little oddly shaped mp3 players that can fit 10 songs, i dont know why they love them so much either.
redface.gif
. its funny though, how they are the ones creating such large capacity players but everyone wants a samsung 128mb player or something. it seems they need people in other countries like where i am, canada, but mostly america to buy the bigger stuff and support them. im not saying that no one in asia buys anything good like the hd3 or karma's, but even in canada i see more asians with little knoby mp3 players strapped around there necks.

usually, its more the japanese and chinese people. people like korean (me), dont like to show off expensive things. they are afraid of people thinking they have money and will soon be jacked/mugged for their stuff. japanese and chinese tend to show more. korean people cover up more
icon10.gif
.... seriously. ive only seen (and this is the truth) one canadian with a small flash player, an RCA and he was gangster, walking with a tilt as if he had weights on his shoulders. i dont know why i went so far into this when the main subject was the sexiest mp3 player, but oh well lol.

some of you may object and i have no problems with that, some of the things i said are from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back