What is the Saddest song ever written?
May 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #545 of 656
Any and all country songs.  It breaks my heart to hear about them losing their, wife, kids, job, dog, house, truck, horse, favorite pair of wranglers, 10 gallon hat, belt buckle, I could go on but you get the point....Country is a sad sad (and horrible) genre :frowning2:

May 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #546 of 656
The saddest I've heared in a long time:
Jennifer Hudson - Believe

Its a Brooks and Dunn cover, but J Hud simply made it amazing! At least for me!
(I just don't like country music, so I don't like the original version of this as well)

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #547 of 656
sorry for thread necro but as soon as i saw this thread i had to post...

elliott smith - last hour

his best ever song, in my opinion, narrowly beating out 'needle in the hay,' 'king's crossing,' 'waltz #3' and dozens of others to take the crown.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #549 of 656
I always tear up at The Long Black Veil. It's doubly sad when a song is sung by someone who is already dead. God! I love that song.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #552 of 656
"Sorry seems to be the hardest word" Elton John

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #554 of 656
That's Lefty Frizzel's song. It sounds like a traditional folk song, but he wrote it in the 60s.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #555 of 656
I'm also not a fan of country, but there are some really sad ones out there. Two that really hit me hard are Neon Moon by Brooks and Dunn and You'd Better Kiss Me, also by Brooks and Dunn. I think these are especially impactful because they take really masculine perspective, unlike some country speaks to a broader audience. The production is also very good. These almost reconcile me to the genre. Almost.

Also, I know it's not a song, but Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights is so depressing that I no longer listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back