What is the Saddest song ever written?
May 22, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #241 of 656
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mezevenf
The saddest song for me is...

Space Lion
CD Found on: Cowboy Bebop OST 1
The ending song for part 2, which is partially sax (Goodnight Julia), partially vocals in an unknown language, and entirely gorgeous.

Anyone whos watched Cowboy Bebop will know why. I don't know what makes the song so emotional for me.

Space lion is more like "nice and soothing" to me. Call me Call me by Steve Conte is the most emotional (not necessarily sad, just emotional) one of the bunch for me, even though it might be a bit over the top for some.

May 22, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #243 of 656
Mingus - Goodbye Porkpie Hat
Written as an elegy for saxophonist Lester Young, dead at 49 after a slow and painful decline from alcoholism.

I'm thinking of the version off of Mingus Ah Um, for any of you out there who know what I'm talking about.

No rock can touch this one.

May 25, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #246 of 656
Joy Division-Decades
Tuxedo Moon-The Waltz
Nick Cave-Christina The Astonishing
New Order-Elegia(17' version)
The Smiths-I Know Its Over
My Dying Bride-Sear Me MCMXCIII
Kronos Quartet-Summer Overture(from Requiem For A Dream soundtrack)
The Cure-Faith
Swans-Love Will Tear Us Apart
Godspeed You Black Emperor-The Dead Flag Blues
Portishead-Roads
Radiohead-Street Spirit
Billy McKenzie+Apollo 440-Pain is the same in all languages

May 25, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #248 of 656
Elton John - The Last Song

You need only to here taps being played while your father is being lowered into his final resting place to understand the complexity of the father/son relationship that is generally unresolved.

May 25, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #249 of 656
May 26, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #251 of 656
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
Been thinking about this for a while, what is the saddest song ever written?

I know there is no definitive answer to this but only your person opinion. But post away.

Mine - Everybody Hurts - REM

eric clapton - tears in heaven

May 26, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #253 of 656
"The Last Resort" - The Eagles
"The Downeaster Alexa" - Billy Joel

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Queen- "Love of my life"

Yes, particularly the version on the Live at Wembley album. If you like Queen at all, get that album. One of the best live recordings, ever, IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave
"Yes, We Have No Bananas" would be quite sad if one really had one's heart set on bananas.

Yes, well, if one truly loved bananas, then "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" by Harry Chapin would have to take it.
eek.gif

On a serious note, I second all the votes for Chapin songs. Harry can pluck the heartstrings like no other. I don't think it's been mentioned, so I'll toss "Taxi" into the ballot box, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarconiSalad
Loudon Wainwright III - Dead Skunk

I hope you're not serious.

If you want something you could hear on Dr. Demento, then I nominate the version of "My Dead Dog Rover" by Hank, Stu, Dave & Hank, from Dr. Demento's 25th Anniversary Album. Runner up: "Send Me to Glory In a Glad (TM) Bag".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back