What is the Saddest song ever written?
May 17, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #226 of 656
Eric Clapton: Tears in Heaven (may have been posted already; too many posts to read on shakey wireless).

May 17, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #228 of 656
As a video producer, it was appropriate for me to make a long memorial slideshow DVD for the sister I lost last year. What a mess. I wanted a genuinely sad soundtrack that didn't sugarcoat the sad story, but not something completely devastating. After all, it's something I wanted to want to visit occasionally.

Here's what made the cut after an arduous selection process:

Landslide - Stevie Nicks
The Circle Game - Joni Mitchell
Bicycle - Luis Balacov (Il Postino) [more charming and bittersweet than sad]
So Now Then - Jon Brion (Magnolia) [the whole gamut of emotions in here; awesome]
Oh Very Young - Cat Stevens [it doesn't have to sound sad to be sad!]
The Scientist - Coldplay
Walkaway - Thomas Newman (Meet Joe Black)

Most of these demonstrate how "sad" any given piece might be perceived depends heavily upon context and state of mind. While obviously a break-up song, The Scientist is arguably far more moving when heard as a dirge. And as ambiguous as it is, sometimes Landslide makes my day: sometimes I simply have to turn it off. I can't explain it.

May 17, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #229 of 656
Tears in Heaven - Clapton (co-written by W Jennings)

Written for his son following an accidental fall from an apartment window shown reference here

too sad..
frown.gif

May 18, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #231 of 656
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Am I the only one completely unaffected by lyrics? I can't really find them emotionally affecting (or even understand what they mean) anymore. I think this is what too much instrumental music does to you.

Anyway, I prefer songs which express melancholy and sadness through sound, rather than words. Some examples:
  1. Autechre - Vletrmx21, Krib
  2. Boards of Canada - all of the Hi Scores EP (except for "Nlogax")
  3. Global Communication - 14:31 and a bunch of tracks on Pentamerous Metamorphosis
Umm... that's about all I can think of now. But, yeah, anyone else have the same problem as I?

- Chris

Nice picks there. I love Hi Scores (Everything You Do Is A Balloon makes me feel emotional), but with Vletrmx it stuns me with awe, more than anything else. It's an amazingly powerful song. Do you like Drane2 from EP7? That's a good one for mellancholly.

Songs that make me feel teary:

Aphex Twin - Mt Saint Michael Mix + Saint Michael's Mount
Afx - Cilonen
Plaid - Eyen
Autechre - Nil

May 20, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #232 of 656
The Trapeze Swinger by Iron & Wine.

IMO the most heartbreakingly beautiful song ever recorded. A live version can be found here. The link is to a concert (35mb) and The Trapeze Swinger is the last song.

May 20, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #233 of 656
"and so it goes" by Billy Joel.

We used to sing it with a music group I was with, and on the coach coming back from a tour one year we started it up, and by the end we were all just in tears. It gets to you, you know?

May 20, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #234 of 656
Mr. Bungle - Girls of ****

For me, that entire s/t album brought a new emotional low to my musical horizons. I may just be odd, though, as I find several songs listed so far fairly uplifting
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #238 of 656
Perfect Blue Buildings and Anna Begins by The Counting Crows
frown.gif

May 21, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #239 of 656
Silent Hill 4: Room of Angel

Runner up: SaGa Frontier II: Trubsal

May 21, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #240 of 656
lately, the sad songs that have been gracing my playlist has been:

In A Lonely Place - New Order
Under Sad Stars - Crooked Fingers
Katy Song - Red House Painters