What is the Saddest song ever written?
Mar 21, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #106 of 656
Classical:

Mahler Symphony #6 - It's called the Tragic for a reason. Quite possibly the most emotionally draining musical work I've ever heard. After the final thunderous hammer blow that concludes the symphony, it is easy to find oneself paralyzed, not changing the disc or removing one's headphones but instead trying to come to terms with what has just happened in the music. As if the music itself were not sad enough, the events in Mahler's life that were contemporaneous to the writing of the Sixth make it even worse. He wrote it during a good time in his life, but shortly after its completion his daughter died, he was diagnosed with heart disease, and he left his job as conductor of the Vienna State Opera (I believe it was Vienna). In fact, he saw himself as the hero of his symphony, and since the third hammer blow was written to signify the death of the hero, he was so terrified of it that when he conducted the piece, he omitted it.

Not Classical:

Last Kiss - Pearl Jam - This one gets me every time. The lyrics are simple but so sad.

Fire and Rain - Dave Matthews (Cover) - The music, the lyrics, and Dave's voice...... Yikes.

As far as sad songs that are sad not because of lyrics but because of association to events in my life"

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey - During a tough time in a relationship that until then had been almost perfect, I discovered things were not so bad as they seemed and I kind of adopted this song as a reminder to (as the name would imply) keep believing. Well, shortly after that the relationship ended, and suddenly the song was no longer quite so reassuring.

More to come as I think of them.

-Jay

Mar 23, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #107 of 656
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
hi riordan,

"Just Like Heaven" features some of the best pop hooks ever written in the history of modern music, but the lyrics are definately poignant and sad.

hmm... i've never got into The Church, perhaps i should, what do you recommend?

Hi, I'm a big Church fan. Starfish is a good starter. They have 14 studio albums. All of them are good with the exception of a couple. Stay away from "Magician Among the Spirits". They are on tour right now in the U.S. I have seen them in Minneapolis and they were absolutely incredible live. I'm going to see them in L.A. on Sat the 27th too.

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #108 of 656
Ballad of the Sad Young Men

Music by Tommy Wolf/Fran Landesman.

Sing a song of sad young men
Glasses full of rye
Often news is bad again
Kiss your dreams goodbye

All the sad young men
Sitting in the dark
Knowing neon nights
missing all the stars

All the sad young men
drifting through the town
drinking up the night
trying not to drown

All the sad young men
Singing in the cold
trying to forget
that they're growing old

Oh, the sad young men
choking on their youth

Trying to be brave
running from the truth

Autumn turns the leaves to gold
Slowly dies the heart
Sad young men are growing old
That's the cruelest part

All the sad youn men
seek a certain smile
someone they can hold
for a little while
Tired little girl does the best she can
trying to be gay for a sad young man

While a grimy moon watches from above
All the sad young man play at making love
Misbegotten moon,
shine for sad young men
Let your gentle light guide them home again

All the sad young men
All the sad young men

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #110 of 656
/me surprised no one has mentioned

Tool - Prison Sex

Lyrics:

t took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then,
you know it hurt me,
but I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.
I've got my hands bound,
my head down, my eyes closed,
and my throat wide open.

Do unto others what has been done to you

I'm treading water,
I need to sleep a while.
My lamb and martyr, you look so precious.
Won't you come a bit closer,
close enough so I can smell you.
I need you to feel this,
I can't stand to burn too long.
Released in this sodomy.
For one sweet moment I am whole.

Do unto you now what has been done to me.

You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.
Won't you come just a bit closer,
close enough so I can smell you.
I need you to feel this.
I need this to make me whole.
There's release in this sodomy.
For I am your witness that
blood and flesh can be trusted.
And only this one holy medium brings me piece of mind.

Got your hands bound, your head down,
your eyes closed.
You look so precious now.

( Show me something
Thought I could make it end
Thought I could wash the stains away
Thought I could break the circle if I
Slipped right into your skin
So sweet was your surrender
We have become one
I have become my terror
And you my precious lamb and martyr.) *

I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this
**** blood and cum on my hands.

I've come round full circle.
My lamb and martyr, this will be over soon.
You look so precious.

* Additional lyrics performed live. Sometimes listed as Prison Sex (O.T.R.M.)
See Tool FAQ, Question F13.

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #112 of 656
There are a number of Lisa Gerrard tracks that make me sad in a good way, "Now We Are Free" from the Gladiator OST, and "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" from Toward the Within. The common theme being death of loved ones in a revolt against an oppressor. Also, the entire Immortal Memory album with Patrick Cassidy is mournful, and yet very beautiful.

Mar 27, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #113 of 656
A few people have already mentioned Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings, Op. 11" being used in the movie 'Platoon'. It is a very moving piece and was used to great effect in that movie. But, when I hear it now, I associate it with certain tragic events of the 20th and 21st centuries.

For example, since it is perceived as a song of mourning, it was played at the funerals of U.S. Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy. It was also used extensively at many post-9/11 memorials. I attended one such memorial at Christchurch Cathedral in Vancouver, B.C., a couple of days after 9/11, in which Nancy Di Novo (an acclaimed violinist) played the Adagio For Strings. I was fortunate to get inside the church -- several thousand people attended, but not all could fit inside. Most were forced to congregate, commiserate, and pray outside. When Ms. Di Novo began to play, everyone broke down.

To this day, I can't listen to Adagio For Strings without something tearing inside me. I've heard this song described as the most profound expression of grief and despair put to music. After experiencing its heart-rending effects firsthand, I can only agree.

D.

Mar 27, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #114 of 656
No one haven't mentioned Tony Braxton - Unbreak my heart. Her voice shows her emotions through that song. I don't listen to the lyrics though since english is not my first language but that song is very sad. "How could an angel break my heart" is also a sad one.

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #117 of 656
Some depressing selections from my library (which is certainly not lacking depressing music):

Radiohead - Exit Music (for a film), How to Disappear Completely, Melatonin (more haunting than depressing), Street Spirit

Aimee Mann - Deathly, Humpty Dumpty, Wise Up

Evanescence - My Immortal (don't laugh, I know it's cheesy corporate pop, but it still has some weird effect on me)

Hope of the States - Static in the City

The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work

Spiritualized - Broken Heart

Portishead - Roads

Nirvana - All Apologies (Unplugged Version--it has far more impact for me).

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #120 of 656
Beck's "Deborah" is depressingly sad to me, though others may not take it that way. Mozart’s Requiem is wonderfully sad, but much more. For my heart, it is an unparalleled reflection on the inevitability of death and the emotions surrounding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back