What is the Saddest song ever written?
Mar 15, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #93 of 656
David Sylvian's Silver Moon-- as is typical of him, most of the lyrics is word salad; but the chorus expresses a hopeless sense of being trapped in very simple words:

Baby I can tell you there's no easy way out
Lost inside the dreams that guide you on
Baby I can tell you there's no easy way out
And soon the guiding moonlight will be gone

Mar 15, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #94 of 656
When it comes to sad instrumental music, it's often pieces with chello's that can make me feel like that.
The chello can sound so haunting and sad.... I always associate it with longing for something.

Sad songs to me are:

1.You were my friend - Chi Coltrane
2.Ghetsemane (I only want to say) - Jesus Christ Superstar
3.One - U2
4.Luka - Suzanne Vega
5.Windmills of my mind - Nana Moskouri (though I prefer other covers and most important a dutch one)
6.Father and son - Cat Stevens

Pink Floyd has numerous sad stuff like others have said, personally I think "watching tv" by roger waters is a pretty depressing song.

Mar 15, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #95 of 656
"I will wait for you" performed by Connie Francis... anyone who has seen Futurama episode, "Jurassic Bark" knows what Im talking about.

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #98 of 656
Home Sweet Home -- Peter Gabriel

Mar 17, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #102 of 656
im suprised noone has said Led Zepps Stairway to Heaven ...
..... Whisper that soothes if we all call the truth .... stairway to heaven .... i forget the words ...

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #104 of 656
Maps is a good one, but I'd vote for jsut about anything by Elliot Smith (Miss Misery anyone?) as well as Hey Hey My My by Neil Young, I listened to it a lot when my grandfather died. The harmonica somehow just kills me...

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #105 of 656
The Beatles - Yesterday.

Hands down. This song always brings tears to my eyes, and if i'm going through a rough period always lets me cry all the hurt out.

Having just lost a friend i've had for 12 years, and being forced to question who I am, this song has entered my playlist on repeat once again.

Cheers, hope ya'll are fairing better than I.

Oh, PS: I like Opeth's lyric, "There is a certain comfort, in sadness" If you think about it, it's true. For some wierd reason there is something satisfying about sadness. Huh.

Although, of course, questioning onesself, and feeling totally misunderstood and alone in the world is not satisfying
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back