What is the origin of your pets name?
Jan 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FlyingInABlueDream

100+ Head-Fier
This is Snoogans. Her name is a reference to Jay and Silent Bob of Kevin Smith fame. My ex and I got her in October of last year. I decided to call her Snoogans because she always has her eyes half open, as if she just finished off a fattie.

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 18
The pet name with an interesting origin in our family is one of our cats, MIA (pronounce mee-yah).

We adopted her from a stray cat near my sisters house, and we had her for about six hours until she went missing. She was found several hours later asleep in my wardrobe. Her name stands for "missing in action".

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 18
When I was a kid, I had a series of incredibly unoriginal names for my fish: Goldy, Blacky, Clumsy (lost an eye when he got stuck in a shell), Pinky, The Suck (the pleco).

Years later, I got a pair of budgies who were similarly named "the green one" and "the white one". It was good for a laugh when the vet had to write their names down for their files.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 18
I have a tiny little cat named dinky. She is at best 13 inches nose to butt. She is quite hefty these days she got depressed when her friend "buddy" the cat ran away, so she eats.... a lot.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 18
This is Besitos. His name means "Little Kisses" in Spanish. We named him this way because he gave us little kisses the very first day we got him.

Picture018.jpg

The first day we got him:

IMG_0204.jpg

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 18
I love the cat on the books pic.

I have 3 dogs. Amber , Gidget and Pico. No special meanings...of course Pico means "great headphone amp" in Head-Fi language.
darthsmile.gif

I named my one existing cat Max because it sounded cool.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 18
I read alot of Sporting Literature and own several works by George Bird Evans. Mr Evans and his wife Kay were fans of English Setters and like most things in his life he started his own line of Setters. His dogs always had unusual names, one of which was "Quest" ... a very nice grouse hunting dog that was loyal to Mr & Mrs Evans.

When I obtained my current Gordon Setter, he soon showed that he would fiercely seek out birds but was interested in hunting with and for me, not for himself. My Quest has proven to be a loyal companion and my finest hunting dog. Thank you Mr Evans for the name.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 18
I name my puppy after divvy he member of another forum who always want to cuddle pepo, see

AngeDivvyHappo.jpg

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dog is named "Brenna" and it means "Raven haired one" in Gaelic. Bet you can't guess why I chose that name!
wink.gif

wow - we used to have a german shepherd named brenna.
ph34r.gif

I now have a "Friedrich."

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 18
Our rabbit used to be named Bunny, because we were a lazy lot when it came to naming pets when we had her (we adopted her from a family that couldn't keep her and hadn't even bothered to give her a name).

Our dog on the other hand, is named Bear. This comes from being a cross Chow Chow/German Shepherd mix. In the winter when we let him grow out his coat, he quite literally starts to look like a little bear cub roaming about in the backyard.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 18
We've had several. Gypsy the greyhound was named after one of the bots on Mystery Science Theater 3000. Tommy and Willy the cats are named after two of the members of the old BBC show Groundforce. Pixel the cat was named for a quantum cat in Robert Heinlein stories. Giulietta the cat was named after a favorite Alfa Romeo model. Cleo the cat was originally Cleopatra. When we adopted her at he Humane Society, she looked almost Egyptian with silver fur. Turns out a few good meals filled her out and gone was the exotic look. She's still a great cat though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back