What is the most simple & cost effective way to make use my iPod Classic as a Digital Transport.
Jan 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

telkinvaga

New Head-Fier
Guys,

I've been searching all over and I'm finding it really difficult to find a solution that is cost effective and accessible for what I thought was a really simple problem.  

For the past 3 weeks I've had this setup:

Ipod Touch 2G > Airplay > Apple TV > Toslink > DacMagic > WooAudio6 > HD600

However, as I used it more and more, the airplay audio connection keeps cutting out.  I've tried a variety of things but it's just plain unreliable so I returned it and vowed to stay away from wireless.  

I want to use an iPod as a digital transport (I have a 6th Gen Classic 80gb and a 2nd Gen iPod Touch) to my DacMagic but the solutions I've found searching are so limited!  I'd like to stick with a wired connection, I'm done trying to work with wireless.  Also I don't need it to be portable.

So far my only solutions seem to be:

Pure i20 (Best price, I cannot find one in Canada and Amazon.com won't ship here)
Wadia 170i (Pricey...maybe not so easy for me to change songs often)
Fostex HP-P1 via optical out  (very pricey and has a bunch of features I don't necessarily need)
NuForce iDo via coaxial  (is this a clean digital signal?)

Is my most cost effective solution the NuForce?  I won't even be using it's DAC and AMP, I just need the digital out...seems like such a waste.  

Any suggestions?  Much appreciated in advance!

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 7
I use the Wadia 170i. Love it.  They often come up used so you can save a bit there.

If you get the 171i, there is a tether cable, which makes it easier to change songs. 

Coax to your DacMagic and you're set. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 7
Yes. It does have a basic little remote. Pause/Play, skip, mode (for the wadia), etc. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 7
I think the CLAS would have been wasted just sitting on my living room table not to mention it's quite a bit more.

I ended up going with the Cambridge Audio iD100 that was available through a local retailer.  I'm totally loving it, it's the perfect solution to my problem.  It's not as cost conscious as the Pure i-20 but the features, flexibility of outputs and features were worth the premium.  It's full metal construction with a nice metal remote that can access every feature on your ipod.  Surprised I don't see it mentioned here more often!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back