What is the most overrated headphone in this forum?
Jun 2, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #47 of 163
Walijohn,
You're right, I apologize. I really needed to get that out of my system though!
eggosmile.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #49 of 163
I actually like the Sony street styles. A bit uncomfortable with my glasses on, but sonic wise, quite good for the money.

And I do find the Sony stock earbuds quite good for their price, free.

And yes, I still think UE's are overrated. I am very averse towards this kind of banging on your head type of hype. Search back for how Shures were introduced to headfi, and see where they are today. At least with Shure E5, you can recover most of your investment. With Ultimate Ears, your money is gone.

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #50 of 163
And a large part of the fun of headfi is the buying different headphones, trying them out, and selling them, moving on to other gears. That's the fun of headphone listening.

I don't know about the rest of the headfi community, personally I can't afford a couple of $1000 one shot canalphones. If everyone sinks money into the Ultimate ears, soon there will be nothing but ultimate ears, because no one will have any money to try out new gears. Well, if you are extremely well off, you certainly can. But I can't.

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #51 of 163
Maybe I indulge too much in schadenfreude, but I don't see how this thread has to be useless. It's good to have a reality check once in a while. A good deal of over-$200 headphones are severely overrated.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #54 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Most overrated are probably Senn HD280 Pro, because I wouldn't recommend a pair to my worst enemy
very_evil_smiley.gif
... sounds like a piece of cheap vibrating plastic.

AS THE SOLE DEFENDER OF THE 280'S I MUST DISAGREE WITH YOU SIR!!! In all seriousness though, they really aren't that bad... I rather like them. Sometimes I wonder if I got a magical pair or something cuz my impression of them is so different from the opinions of so many others...
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #55 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanS
Maybe it will be nice to see the other thread about the 'most underrated cans'...
smily_headphones1.gif

Just copy the names of all the headphones you find in this thread and add positive comments...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #56 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
That's a pretty good point. Also, wouldn't this thread just serve to make unhappy those of us who own the headphones that are being bashed?

(Then again, isn't part of the HeadFi way of life to never be truly satisfied with your rig?)

No. It just makes some of us lose respect for posters who base such impressions on 'heards' while a quick look inside their profile indicates equally overrateable cans.

I've owned, not "heard" so many and I would now not even attempt to bash the headphones I've merely sampled on threads like this. Overrated? I think I can only think of one and it's not because it's bad but because it's so "grey". "grey" as in all-round mediocrity.

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #58 of 163
I won't start defending UEs or anything... I just quote whoever said that he didn't understand how somebody could judge them overrated without having heard them.
When I wrote my review I clearly stated where I was coming from, the equipment I was using and the music I was listening to. So far there have been two reviews on UE-10 Pro. One from me and one from Welly Wu. We both spent a lot of time to do listening tests and writing our reviews. Neither in my review nor in Welly's I see judgements like "this is the end-all be-all headphone". I only read our listening impressions and comparisons with the equipment we had before (in my case very limited, not so for Welly).

Since those are the only two "rates" I see for UE-10 on Head-Fi, I feel what's been written here is disrespectful of the passion invested and time spent by Welly and me to share our views with this community.

But if this is useful in your book, more power to you.

Jun 2, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #59 of 163
The UE-10 Pro might be overrated for the audiophile who can just get excellent sound in $200-etymotic phones. But for the monitor engineer and performing musician, the UE-10 Pro's price tag is not all that unreasonable given the excellent sound quality and additional headroom, construction, reliability/dependability of the product. The UE-10 Pro alone has 6 drivers. The ER4 has only 2.

The V6/7506 might be overrated for some simply because they are using it wrong. These are great monitoring headphones that I use for editing. They are intended to be bright, but better than any other headphone is the bass response. They are an indespensible tool in the studio and for $69.99 they are hardly overrated. They are also one of the sturdiest phones I have ever owned and I still use my 12 year old V6 constantly-maybe not to enjoy music, but to do editing. Again, for the consumer, these phones might not be all that, but just to say that they are overrated is simply stupid.

If I had to point to an overrated phone, that would have to be the Shure E5. It uses two drivers and a crossover to divide the lows from the highs. The intent was to provide crisp highs and strong bass. In reality it only provides strong bass. The mids are muddy and the highs are missing. Also, because of the high sensitivity of these phones, they tend to pickup and amplify noise in noisy portable players, which tends to destroy the listening experience of the music at low volumes. As IEMs, they isolate noise to up to 20dB, which is mediocre. Sensa's and UE's IEM isolate to up to 26dB.

Jun 2, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #60 of 163
well, I can't say that I wasn't expecting a whole slew of AKG K271 Studio nominations in this thread...

its boggles my mind that I hear them so differently... anyways, moving on...

I think the most overrated headphones for me would be the RS1... or any of the Grado line really... didnt like them one bit

[to clarify... I only heard the RS1 for a short time at a meet and have also heard a SR225 and a SR60]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back