What is the most overrated headphone in this forum?
Jun 1, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #17 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
ive read lots of posts mentioning about how great this particular headphone is, how good is that one, blah blah... not to say that i am doubting it, but im just curious, do you guys sense some headphones are actually overrated ?

maybe because of word of mouth, brand names, etc...
i am not really an expert, and dont have lots of experiences with different headphones, so i cant tell, but i am curious, is there any headphones out here in the forum that you personally think are slightly overrated ?

PS: dont be afraid to mention names, although handle flames at own risk, hehe...

Sony MDR-V6/7506.

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #18 of 163
Most overrated?

AKG K240 Studio - Failed to live up to the hype to my ears, gets left a LONG way behind its DT531 groovalizer cousin, IMHO. Claustrophobic soundstage, nowhere near as warm as I was led to believe, nor does it have the bass that I was led to believe. Not as comfy as I'd hoped either.

AKG K271 Studio - Same as the K240 Studio, but even worse.

Sennheiser HD650 - Perhaps it is because of my equipment, but the basic character of these phones is to be totally inoffensive. And it succeeds, but in doing so, offends the part of my brain that likes to be involved in my music.

Sony MDR-CD3000 - Even though I love this phone, I'd have to concede that its probably overrated around here. A really, really exciting sounding headphone, but one which sounds fake on some music. Its only for that reason I see it as being overrated, but since i have come to accept my fondness for this "hyped" sound, then its not much of an issue for me.

Stax Lambda Basics - My first and only taste of the Stax sound, and based on this, I wouldnt like Stax. This little setup sounded just like a Beyer DT931 to my ears, but is 4x more expensive.

Sennheiser HD497 - Many people round here recommend these as good starter phones. I think they are dull, muddy, undetailed, uninvolving and uncomfortable. I think even I would just suffer the discomfort of the Grado SR60/80 over these.

Any Grado that costs more than £60 - Not from a sound point of view, but purely comfort. Absolutely terrible comfort, that would put me off using forever.

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 163
R10, W2002 and L3000, simply excessively expensive and a big part of the cost is on the fancy appearance.
4_14_202.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #20 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
ROFLMAO!!!!!! That was a good one, just add the R-10 to that list...Someone will even preffer V6 to them...!!!

Whoever does that should be fed to an ill-tempered shark with blunt teeth!

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 163
Grado SR-80. I really like the SR-225 and thought these might be a less expensive alternative for a portable setup. Tons of reviews said they were great. They weren't. And I did try them in several different kinds of equipment.
I was just disappointed.

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 163
Grado HP-1000's. Uninteresting, too sterile, boring. Only good for short analytical listening sessions. I think it's one of the most overpriced and overrated headphones available, and I think Joe Grado stopped producing them because he knew they sucked too... :p

(just kidding about the Joe Grado part, but none the less, an overrated pair of cans.)

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #24 of 163
Sennheiser HD590's for sure. They're extremely comfortable, all right - but everything else about those headphones is amiss: With their murky overtight bass, missing mids, shrill highs and an incoherent overall sound, I could not see how people would like them.

Jun 1, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
AKG K240 Studio - Failed to live up to the hype to my ears, gets left a LONG way behind its DT531 groovalizer cousin, IMHO. Claustrophobic soundstage, nowhere near as warm as I was led to believe, nor does it have the bass that I was led to believe. Not as comfy as I'd hoped either.

I still wonder why the K240S won't work for you as it works for me... And I'm really clueless... Could it be a change of character with the change of the connection on the headphone side - maybe including a different cable? System mismatch? A bad unit? Hmhmhm - everything's possible, but nothing seems really probable... Hmhmhm... Sorry for the miss, nevertheless.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 163
Most overrated are probably Senn HD280 Pro, because I wouldn't recommend a pair to my worst enemy
very_evil_smiley.gif
... sounds like a piece of cheap vibrating plastic.

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #27 of 163
My SR-80's a little overstated I think. Man, I REALLY love these things, don't get me wrong. The bass punch is indeed good, but when it all boils down, they don't really have enough physical bass. This is most likely due to my ampless crappy source, though.

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #28 of 163
Grado RS-1.......
confused.gif

Overrated
Over priced
under built
uncomfortable

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #29 of 163
Put me down for all full size AT phones I've heard. I've had extensive auditions of every one other than the L3000, and W2002. In my opinion all AT cans that I've heard are quite overpriced, and overrated. They're dark, incoherent, and cheap sounding. Again, I haven't heard the top two from AT.

Trevor

***EDIT***

Let's throw the Sony V6/7506 in there too. They're overrated junk. At first I was like "they're pretty fun", after 5 minutes I was like "these are terrible, I can't believe someone would assault their ears with these".

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #30 of 163
The worst mistake I ever made on this forum was purchasing a Sony D66 eggo headphone when the hype machine here was on. The value of these things was being so overstated it was ridiculous. They look sweet, but in my opinion they sound atrocious (no bass! my ety's had more!). The Koss KSC-35, Sony V6, and Senn MX400-500 were so much better to me. One idiot claimed that they were as good as the CD3000!
Unfortunately I think I may have fallen to the hype machine once again by selling my ER-4ps and ordering UE5c. Due to the fact that they have NO resale value, I am so screwed if they don't turn out to be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back