What is the most obscure album you own?
Oct 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 52
Adt%20CD%20Cofer%20001.jpg

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 52
Based on number of views on youtube, probably Atomic Eyes - Sweet Life. The closest thing to them I can think of would be Creed. Wouldn't necessarily recommend, though it's decent music.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 52
I have some rare early recordings of Sinatra before he was even known. I have some rare broadcast recordings from various jazz and vocal artists. I also have some rare recordings of composers works arranged by other composers. A lot of other stuff too numerous to mention.

My pride and joy is a rare, mint - dead mint gray label west coast pressing of Frank Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers. I think it has been played a total of 4 times since it was pressed. Sounds glorious. While the title may be well know, this type of mastering and sound quality is truly rare and obscure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 52
Rare would be by somebody that has had some success but the album maybe didnt sell well and/or is out of print.

Obscure would be just some artist usually local that may have had some indirect connection to someone famous.

Rare- Truth Decay- T-Bone Burnett- I think his first studio album and a great record. My original is on prerecorded cassette. Great album title as well.

Obscure- Robert Johnson- Close Personal Friend- Not the delta blues singer but from Mississippi as well aka "Tupelo Flash"- Locally famous for a couple of reasons including one of his songs (uncredited) playing in a David Lynch Movie and for Alex Chilton producing the record. Also had a bright pink Stratocaster. Came about the same time as Marshall Crenshaw but was even more obvious about his Buddy Holly influences. The guy was a guitar whiz. Good fun album

EDIT: the internet is an amazing place. I just saw a profile of him claims him as a memphis boy and called the "Frayser Flash" apparently there is some love for the guy and the album was released on CD. Might pick it up if i can find it for less than the $22 that amazon wants for it

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 52
Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of albums I own that are obscure, at least in the US.
  1. Flairk - Gevecht Met De Engel - probably not obscure in The Netherlands
  2. Osanna - Preludio tema variazioni canzona
  3. Osanna - Landscape of life
  4. Robert Gordon and Danny Gatton - The Humbler - not so obscure but hard to find
  5. Pierre Morlean

Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obscure- Robert Johnson- Close Personal Friend- Not the delta blues singer but from Mississippi as well aka "Tupelo Flash"- Locally famous for a couple of reasons including one of his songs (uncredited) playing in a David Lynch Movie and for Alex Chilton producing the record. Also had a bright pink Stratocaster. Came about the same time as Marshall Crenshaw but was even more obvious about his Buddy Holly influences. The guy was a guitar whiz. Good fun album

This album was a free MP3 download from Amazon a few months ago. Interestingly, it's not even available now in MP3.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 52
Oct 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 52
Sarah Records - Fountain Island - The long defunct Sarah Records is still fairly well known, and this is a compilation disc released in 1992. I am trying to get more Sarah albums, but they are rare, and tend to go for silly money on Ebay.

Elf Fatima - Self Titled - Hong Kong based Post Rock band, their album is still available for sell but I guess I am one of the very few who listens to them.

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 52
I didn't even know I had any Records
wink.gif

My most obscure album - I don't know, I have a lot of stuff that's fairly obscure, but the album least likely to be found in someone else's collection is probably the Grey Gersten untitled EP I picked up at a show last month. I have #64 out of 100 pressings. It's an odd mix of singer/songwriter kind of stuff (he has a nice voice) and experimental noise/textures. I like it though. Most of it is available on his various websites.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tap out at Uncle Erik's entry.

icon10.gif

Yol Bolsin by Sevara Nazarkahn
Uzbek Folk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back