What is the most forgiving smooth warm full sounding amp? :D
Jun 4, 2006 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

lolos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I know there are many threads discussing what amp goes with the stock cable or re-cabled Sennheiser HD650 but please keep reading and you will know exactly what I couldn’t find in those threads…

First, I just purchased HD650 + 5'' Rnb Gr52 cable with a 1/8'' mini jack...
and I NEED AN AMP!

My budget is only $350 for either a used or a new amp.

I was looking for a portable amp, but now I am just open to all kinds of amps. I am going to use the amp 80% at home and 20% portably, but I won’t really care about portability if home amp will sound much better.

I read many reviews saying that the source is the MOST important factor besides the headphone. I use iRiver H120 and iAudio U3 flash player as my sources. I know if I used the Micro DAC with the optical out of my iRiver H120 I will improve the source, but unfortunately, my budget doesn’t allow me.

What I am looking for, that I couldn’t find anywhere, is that what is the most forgiving amp with poor recordings? Since most of the songs I have are old and poorly recorded/encoded. So I am worried if I use a too detailed amp it may worsen my listening experience by showing all the errors in my recordings.

Also, I am from Egypt and attending university in US so the amp MUST be both 110/220 voltage compatible in order to take it back and forth between Egypt and US.

My music preference: I almost listen to all genres. However, I love smooth, relaxing, full sound. I want to feel the air between the strings of the guitar/lute… It is like when you listen to a saxophone and can feel the air on the other side -- I don’t know if you call this detail or something else.

I like vocals to sound full and enriching. Since I love emotional vocals!
wink.gif

I am just starting this hobby so modding, rolling opamps /or tubes, and the technical terms are hard for me to grip in the beginning. I want something easy to use, practical, and simple.

So what amp would you recommend for me?

Most importantly, I really want to thank everyone for a wonderful loving forum. Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]PS. excuse my bad English and lack of better words to decribe my preferenes.[/size]

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 31
Just by reading your thread title, you sound like a candidate for tubes. Look into the WooAudio 3 and the X-Cansv3 (i think thats what it's called).

BTW, how is that Grace52? I am going to be getting one very soon.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Just by reading your thread title, you sound like a candidate for tubes. Look into the WooAudio 3 and the X-Cansv3 (i think thats what it's called).

BTW, how is that Grace52? I am going to be getting one very soon.

I read that the X-Cans V3 is a really good amp but not sturdy built. It can get hot very easily and it sound best with a modding which will pump the price above $450. ($300 used + send it to PinkFloyd in UK for modding $100 + shipping + Russian tubes $50).

Also, I don't know if it will be forgiving on poorly recorded songs or not.

And the Grace52 is on its way to me this week
biggrin.gif

I will let you know when I recieve it... hopefully by then I would have the amp I am looking for...

Can't wait to write my review just to give back to this wonderful community!!

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 31
For the budget you mentioned I'd recommend the Eddie Current EC-01. It's retailed at $349. I'll be receiving mine soon to test out 3 headphones I have including the HD-650. Read the review on 6moons site for info. You may want to request the damper mod to take off some of the high frequency edgyness. Just another option for you to think about and good luck finding a new amp!

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 31
^

I'd probably do the same thing and buy a nice step-up/down voltage converter to use the EC-01 in Egypt. Or maybe Craig can whip something up for you, try contacting him.

Here's the Eddie Current EC-01

I would also recommend that you upgrade your source in the future. If you have no plans to upgrade your source, you will most likely not experience the great sound the HD650/Grace 52 and EC-01 (or other $350 amp) are capable of providing.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 31
For the record... the XCAN v3 is solidly built and does not overheat... it doesn't even get warm to the touch. It sounds absolutely stunning with the HD650's and a cable upgrade - assuming an adequate source.

While there may have been a few reports of hot amps - most of those are the prior versions of the XCAN.

But... so does the WooAudio 3 with the right tubes (about $400 like new used)... and reportedly a number of other amps, such as Laconic EC-01, but you likely need to get the EC/DC (total price $600) with it, or Bada PH12 (about $400 like new used), or G&W T2.6f (about $400 new), or the Mapletree Audio EAR+ Purist HD (about $600 new).

These are all great values with great SQ. But, at about $300 (like new used)... the XCAN v3 is probably the biggest value of the group.

GF2

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 31
Thanks for the replies guys!

All the amps recommended above^ are tube amps. Is there a reason for that?

And GF2, why do you recommend to get the Laconic EC-01/DC package? I went to the website and didn't know what the DC will add to me!

Regarding the X-CAN V3, do you recommend it like-it-is or ONLY after the modding?

The Grace 52 cable I have, it has a mini 1/8'' headphone jack, should I buy an amp with a mini output or is it not a big deal, I can always buy an adaptor for that?

What about other portable dual voltage friendly amps like the Hornet for instance?

Last, since my budget is only $350 for the amp. Do you recommend I sell the Grace 52 cable and expand my budget for the amp to $450?

When you say I should better change the source, is there a portable souce that could be used other than a high-end CD players? Is there any portable high-end mp3 player sources? I don't want to get out of topic, but what makes a soucre better than the other? the DAC used?

It is just too many confusion into my head right now and I read too many threads... Too many information in --> only one me!

Thanks again to everyone. I very much appreciate your input and help.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
For the record... the XCAN v3 is solidly built and does not overheat... it doesn't even get warm to the touch. It sounds absolutely stunning with the HD650's and a cable upgrade - assuming an adequate source.

While there may have been a few reports of hot amps - most of those are the prior versions of the XCAN.

But... so does the WooAudio 3 with the right tubes (about $400 like new used)... and reportedly a number of other amps, such as Laconic EC-01, but you likely need to get the EC/DC (total price $600) with it, or Bada PH12 (about $400 like new used), or G&W T2.6f (about $400 new), or the Mapletree Audio EAR+ Purist HD (about $600 new).

These are all great values with great SQ. But, at about $300 (like new used)... the XCAN v3 is probably the biggest value of the group.

GF2

I concur on the X-Can V3 being a great value and not getting hot. The previous versions were indeed modified and resistors were pulled away from the board to prevent cooking the board. For the money and Senheiser Cans I would get the X-Can V3. By the way MF has both wal warts in 110 or 220 available from them at very good prices. Once you have had the V3 for a while send it to PinkFloyd to have it modded, you will love it.

If the intent is to drive Grado's then I would suggest the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 31
Earmax Pro with stock tubes

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Most of the amps recommended above^ are tube amps. Is there a reason for that?

I think it's because you indicated you were looking for the "most forgiving smooth warm full sounding amp." I think it's more common for tube gear to sound this way than it is for solid state, although there are exceptions.

Quote:

And GF2, why do you recommend to get the Laconic EC-01/DC package? I went to the website and didn't know what the DC will add to me!

I don't know why he recommended this either as you are using high impedance HD650's, which is what the EC-01 is capable of driving. The EC-DC is designed so you can drive low impedance headphones like Grados. You wouldn't need it if you just use Sennheiser HD650.

Quote:

When you say I should better change the source, is there a portable souce could be used other than high end CD players? Is there any portable high end mp3 player sources? I don't want to get out of topic, but what makes a soucre better? the DAC used?

I'm not sure. But I have the iRiver H120 like you and I feel the iPod sounds better using the line-out. If I just used the H120 as my source, I would not spend a lot on headphones and amps because I don't think it will sound great, maybe good, but not great. The main reason to choose the iRiver H120 is to take advantage of the digital output so you can use a separate high end DAC. But overall, portable sources cannot compete with high end home cd players and home DAC's. This is just my opinion.

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 31
Why not get the micro amp? It's definitely smooth, warm, and full sounding, plus you get portability and crossfeed. If you listen to a lot of older music (like older than 1980) you need crossfeed.

Plus if your budget ever does allow it would easy to add the micro dac.

If you've got the overhead why not order a few and just keep the one you like (assuming the other people you order from have as generous of a return policy as headroom).

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
Earmax Pro with stock tubes

In another thread, in the Sale / Trade forum... Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 904
I bought this amp [Earmax Pro] in order to drive my HD650s, it seems that they don't have the "umph" that the 650 needs.

Do you know what "umph" is the seller talking about?!

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
Why not get the micro amp? It's definitely smooth, warm, and full sounding, plus you get portability and crossfeed. If you listen to a lot of older music (like older than 1980) you need crossfeed.

Plus if your budget ever does allow it would easy to add the micro dac.

If you've got the overhead why not order a few and just keep the one you like (assuming the other people you order from have as generous of a return policy as headroom).

This is a good idea, but I am still looking since I found many users recommend other solid state amps to be better than the Micro Amp. Plus, I read it is not very forgiving on poor encoded songs. I have no idea if that is correct or not.

I know everyone has different tastes... that is why I created this thread to get the most information that are relevant to my setup and preferences.

So far, the thing I like about X-Can V3 that it has been recommended by many users and a tube amp seems to be more forgiving than solid state amp, according to what Borat said. Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
...for the "most forgiving smooth warm full sounding amp." I think it's more common for tube gear to sound this way than it is for solid state, although there are exceptions.

I like the Micro Amp because I can order both 110/120 AC adaptors and as you said, it could be a good match with the DAC if I decided to buy the DAC later, however, I think other amps could be a good match with the Micro DAC as well. And right now, the most important thing for me is to get an amp that would work with my current needs and not to constantly worry about upgrades... it is very stressing!!
eek.gif

I like the Hornet for being small and have only one adaptor that is both compatible with 110/220 voltage and I heard it has a warm full sound and an extra excellence with vocals.

Bottom line, I can live up with any amp as long as it gives me the SQ I am looking for under $350 with 110/220 voltage -- buying a transformer is not a viable option, because I believe it is much better if not safer to use an adaptor that is deisgned to work with the device.

I can order an AC adaptor from Europe for the X-Can V3 but I don't want to hurry and make sure I make the right purchase.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
In another thread, in the Sale / Trade forum...

Do you know what "umph" is the seller talking about?!

havn't spend lots of time with HD650 than HD600. I guess what the seller means by umph is oomph (spirit). The only problem with Earmax Pro is not very much output power, only 150mW per channels. Therefore, when people listen to it for the first time, it may seem a little laid back ( "don't have the 'umph' ") sounding, but you will sooner find out the amp is designed to emphasis a balance and a truth to the music recording. With stock tubes, the EMP is the most smooth, warm and full sound amp I have heard. The problem with the stock tubes is the sound's resolution and transparency are heavily reduced compare with other tubes. You need to make a tradeoff in this case. Tubes always motivate vocals to sound alive. The more expensive the tubes, the more charming the vocals, but not necessarily has to be warm. EarMax Pro can tell apart good tubes or bad tubes wisely. I don't know the bottom line of your budget. EMP with stock tubes is the most tuby sounding and was said widely here. You may just find an used one and stay with the stock tubes. It's still a good choice. I now use three very expensive (almost as much as a brand new EMP) old stock tubes on my EarMax Pro, I am happy dying listening vocals with it. And I feel the sound of the whole amp deserves the total cost. Anyways, I am talking about a system, a good amp also needs good source and right cables. lastly, I feel happy sharing my little expensive with you, and there must be other good choices for you out there.

best
Edison

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #15 of 31
All the amps recommended above^ are tube amps. Is there a reason for that?

The Senns benefit greatly from some tubes in the signal path, and you can get great tube / hybrid amps for $300 to $400+. SS amps generally are not as warm and liquid as tube or hybrid amps. To get a quality SS amp with the kinds of SQ you want you have to spend much more, than for the tube amps noted.

Read... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/e...rent/ec01.html

If you buy it with the EC/DC you have more options to tune the sound to your preference, with whatever phones you may want to try, and you have a better resale, because of greater versatility. You get a discount if you buy them together. You could always wait to buy the EC/DC later, but it will cost more. Whereas, I believe you can return it if you don't like it / don't need it.

Regarding the X-CAN V3, do you recommend it like-it-is or ONLY after the modding?

I have the stock XCAN v3 and it's great with the HD650's, deveiled, and with the Cardas cable. From the reviews of the Grace 52 it's even better. You can tune it to your preferences by swapping the tubes to the one's recommended by PinkFloyd, or Amperex's, or JJ's, or whatever. I find the stock JAN Phillips 6922's sound good with the HD650's, which I think benefit from a brighter, more lively sound provided by the stock tubes. But, you can warm the sound, by swapping to Amperex's, or others.

However, I have purchased the Pinkfloyd mod kit, and I'm going to upgrade my XCAN v3. That is not to say - it doesn't sound exceptional in stock form. Rather, it's more the result of my compulsion to try to improve upon what's already a great product - I hope I don't screw it up.

The Grace 52 cable I have, it has a mini 1/8'' headphone jack, should I buy an amp with a mini output or is it not a big deal, I can always buy an adaptor for that?

Just get an adapter. Or, return it to RnBAudio and have Myo convert it to the standard plug. That shouldn't cost too much.

What about other portable dual voltage friendly amps like the Hornet for instance?

I don't know, I've never tried them - but, many regard them highly. If I were after a portable, I guess I'd be considering the SR71, and maybe the AE-1, Hornet, possibly the Xin Super Micro, and the LaRocco PR2 if I could swing it.

However, I guess I just don't regard the HD650's as portable headphones - too big and bulky - I prefer the Grados for "transportable" phones. And I'd probably opt for some canal phones if I was going really portable

Last, since my budget is only $350 for the amp. Do you recommend I sell the Grace 52 cable and expand my budget for the amp to $450?

No - I'd buy an amp in that price range - there are many excellant amps in that range (XCAN v3, G&W T2.6f, you might find a BADA PH12)... and you might try the Laconic EC-01, if you want to try it without the EC/DC. But, I'd tend to buy the most versatile configuration - to enhance resale value.

When you say I should better change the source, is there a portable souce that could be used other than a high-end CD players? Is there any portable high-end mp3 player sources? I don't want to get out of topic, but what makes a soucre better than the other? the DAC used?

I didn't suggest you "change the source" - I suggested the HD650's sound best with a good source. There are many factors that determine the quality of the source - too numerous to discuss here. I doubt you'll find many portable sources that perform as well as the better home sources. You can get an idea of what sources are generally considered better (price/performanc ratio), by browsing / searching the posts on Headfi - but, generally they include the following value priced players: Eastsound CD E5, Music Hall CD 25, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Arcam CD Players, and a few DAC's. You can get the Music Hall and Cambridge players in like new condition on eBay, or Audiogon for around $300.

It is just too many confusion into my head right now and I read too many threads... Too many information in --> only one me!

No kidding... it is a bit overwhelming!

GF2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back