What is the most forgiving smooth warm full sounding amp? :D
Jun 5, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #16 of 31
I can't tell you a lot about forgiving, but I can tell you that the darkvoice (I think it's the tha366?) is a VERY tubey amp. It took ALL the harsh edge off the SA5000; if that isn't tube warmth, I don't know what is. and it's definitely within your price range. As far as 110/220 compatible, I can't tell you that for sure, but since it's Chinese, and my friend who uses it is here in the US, I'd imagine that one way or another, it's compatible.

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 31
GF2, thank you so much for the detailed Q & A you gave me. But just a quick question, if your order is not shipped yet, can I order the PinkFloyd kit with you and then send the X-Can V3 to you for modding and split the costs? I am very easy to deal with
eggosmile.gif

I think this will be cheaper for me than to order individually and send back and forth to UK.

If you can't, it is ok. Anyhow, I really appreciate your help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I can't tell you a lot about forgiving, but I can tell you that the darkvoice (I think it's the tha366?) is a VERY tubey amp. It took ALL the harsh edge off the SA5000; if that isn't tube warmth, I don't know what is. and it's definitely within your price range. As far as 110/220 compatible, I can't tell you that for sure, but since it's Chinese, and my friend who uses it is here in the US, I'd imagine that one way or another, it's compatible.

Meyvn, where can I get the "tha366"? I searched google but there is no English site selling it or giving any infomration about it. Would you please give me a link I can go and get more information about it?

Are you referring to this one?

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #18 of 31
Unfortunately... the kit has already shipped.

I wouldn't want to take the responsibility for potentially screwing up someone else's XCAN v3. If I screw mine up - then I can live with it, but not if I screw someone else's up. And... I don't think you want me touching your amp - I'm not an EE, and I've never touched a soldering iron before... but, I've got a lot of confidence - how difficult can it be? Plus, I'm relying on PinkFloyd's trusted guidance.

It's best to try it out, and perhaps swap some tubes, and see if you like the sound of the stock amp, before experimenting with mods. As I said... it really doesn't need the mods... but... "I can't seem to leave well enough alone." Then... if you really think you've got to have the mods, and don't want to DIY, go to Radio Shack... see if they can refer you to someone local who's good with a soldering iron... get the kit from PinkFloyd... and have the local person complete the mods for you.

GF2

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
...go to Radio Shack... see if they can refer you to someone local who's good with a soldering iron... get the kit from PinkFloyd... and have the local person complete the mods for you.

That is very useful to know... thanks GF2.

Any advices on solid state amps that can match tube amps?

BTW, what do you guys think of the Darkvoice 336 amp, does it suit my needs? or is the X-Can V3 better?

here is the link.

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I don't know why he recommended this either as you are using high impedance HD650's, which is what the EC-01 is capable of driving. The EC-DC is designed so you can drive low impedance headphones like Grados. You wouldn't need it if you just use Sennheiser HD650.

I have no experience with the EC-01, yet... but if that's all it does, why wouldn't you simply use an ohm connector for low impedance cans?

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
I have no experience with the EC-01, yet... but if that's all it does, why wouldn't you simply use an ohm connector for low impedance cans?

Someone else that is more technically inclined should answer your question. You're talking about using something like the Etymotic P to S adapter, right?

I just know that you can use the EC/DC to make high impedance designed headphone amplifiers drive low impedance headphones. It also has a polarity switch and two pairs of line outputs/one pair of balanced outputs.

Here is the product info page.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 31
I shall dare to interfere with dispute. EC-01 very well works with headphones Senn580 //600/650, Beyer 770/880/990, AKG 501 without the transformer. It not my opinion, this opinion of many Russian users. EC-01 is the improved variant of Russian model Laconic HA-03/03b/03b1/03b2. Improvement has occured on demand Craig Uthus.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Any advices on solid state amps that can match tube amps?

I don't know whether it can "match" tube amps, but the Corda Aria is supposed to be rather on the warm side, on the tubey side as some people claimed. I don't know whether this is true, as this is practically my only headphone amp, but it surely is really smooth IMO, and it's a really great match with the highdetail cans that I use. Might want to look into it, I don't know.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Someone else that is more technically inclined should answer your question. You're talking about using something like the Etymotic P to S adapter, right?

I just know that you can use the EC/DC to make high impedance designed headphone amplifiers drive low impedance headphones. It also has a polarity switch and two pairs of line outputs/one pair of balanced outputs.

Here is the product info page.

Exactly, like the P to S converter.
The extra outputs must be what makes it cost the money then. I don't see why someone would pay $299 if you could simply make an ohm adapter for a few bucks.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
The only problem with Earmax Pro is not very much output power, only 150mW per channels. Edison

according to the Audioxpress review,sept 02, the absolute maximum output power measured 1.26mw for 35 ohms, 3mw for 100 ohms, 10.4mw for 600 ohms, and 15mw for 1k ohms.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #26 of 31
Warm and forgiving. Budget $350. Sennheiser HD-650.

The original post seems to be calling for the Radii HAP-03. I'm not sure what the current retail in the US is, or even who carries it right now, but it used to be around $300 or so.

http://www.radaudio.com/hap-03II.html

This is one of the best amps for Sennheisers I have heard at any price. Not the most detailed, but clean clear mids that you can sink right into. Radii should be able to provide you with a US dealer, or sell to you directly. One of the hidden treasures in headphone audio, IMO, but only works its magic on high-impedance headphones.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #27 of 31
I expect the Headroom Micro -- maybe with Desktop Module, since 20% portability shouldn't be disturbed much by the added battery consumption -- should do very nicely, if the rather large size for a portable is not perceived as an issue ... and, of course, the addition of the MicroDAC will add more Oomph, dynamics, solidity...

I like the Ear Max Pro, but I wonder if anyone's seen one selling for $350 or less??? I also don't see any 220V option on it.

Hirsh's suggestion is a good alternative the EMP, but do the Radii amps have 110/220v selectability?

Fun - Fun - Fun.
orphsmile.gif
lambda.gif
gs1000.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee

Hirsh's suggestion is a good alternative the EMP, but do the Radii amps have 110/220v selectability?

Fun - Fun - Fun.
orphsmile.gif
lambda.gif
gs1000.gif

No, but neither does the EMP. The way to go with either would be to get two power supplies, one for 110 v and the other for 220 v. That would cover you wherever you were. If the original poster was willing to stretch the budget up to EMP levels, I'd recommend the Berning MicroZOTL. It has a universal power supply that will accept any voltage that it's plugged into (100-240v, 50-60 Hz). No switches necessary, it simply adjusts to incoming voltage.

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Hi!

I am just starting this hobby so modding, rolling opamps /or tubes, and the technical terms are hard for me to grip in the beginning. I want something easy to use, practical, and simple.

So what amp would you recommend for me? [/SIZE]

Lolos, for your budget you should also consider the Original Master (US$190). All the people who heard it recently were astonished by its quality at this price point. It has been definetely voiced for the HD650 and really shines with it.
Also if you are a beginner, it is extremely simple to use, much more so than a tube amp.

You can check our impressions here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back