what is the most expensive headphone available?
Feb 12, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 15
if you know where to look you can find the STAX SR-007, aka Omega-II, new for over $4000 just for the headphones (as in dealers outside Japan that I guess get their products through official distributors in their country). normally people will try to look for the cheapest, which would bring this under $2000 through importing from Japan usually, but it works both ways.

going by the cans with the most expensive lowest retail price, right now the Qualia 010 headphone at $2600 new is the highest.

if we include discontinued headphones that you might find used, or perhaps a rare occurance of a new old stock somewhere, then the Sennheiser HE90 at $5k to over $7k would be at the top.

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 15
I have some unimpressive full-sized Koss headphones I got as a gift a few years ago. They're mostly unused. I'll sell 'em to you for $68,000.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Sennheiser HE90V Orpheus: $15,000 Can't think of headphones any more expensive than this.

Wait. I paid $17,000 for my HD650s. Did I get ripped off!?

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 15
If the key word is available as in current production, then the answer is the Stax Omega II. Sony R10 and Senn HE90 are out of production, hence not available in the normal sense of the word.

If available means used market or buy from someone used, then the HE90 is the most expensive available.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
going by the cans with the most expensive lowest retail price, right now the Qualia 010 headphone at $2600 new is the highest.

What about the Edition 7? At least in Japan, the lowest new street price was at least $3500.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
What about the Edition 7? At least in Japan, the lowest new street price was at least $3500.

I was thinking of that, but I think the Edition 7 isn't available anymore new retail so I didn't include it. of course I haven't checked for availability at all stores since that's impossible to do, but it isn't listed at Meier-Audio anymore, and the Edition 7 site (at least the Japanese one) lists it as being sold out so I think that's reasonable enough.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I was thinking of that, but I think the Edition 7 isn't available anymore new retail so I didn't include it. of course I haven't checked for availability at all stores since that's impossible to do, but it isn't listed at Meier-Audio anymore, and the Edition 7 site (at least the Japanese one) lists it as being sold out so I think that's reasonable enough.

Wow! I can't imagine that they sold 999 of those things! I guess there's a fool born every minute.
blink.gif

(I love making fun of myself!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back