What is the most effective solution and highest NRR item to block out 'sharp' sounds, in 2017?
Jun 8, 2017 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

soundsarepretty

New Head-Fier
  • please link to the best analysis of why this headphone is most effective
What is the most effective solution and highest NRR item to block out 'non-constant' sounds, in 2017?

'noise-cancel' do not work, it blocks constant sounds

from there, would filter out the options by

which has an in-built mic

but blocking out external noise is most important

• please link to the best analysis of why this headphone is most effective

from there i would filter by wireless, if there's even any left by then in 2017....

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Bose has some of the best IP on impulse responses and cancelling them, Sennheiser has been doing well lately as well though.

What's your budget?

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 18
Bose is probably still the industry leader in ANC but Sennheiser is definitely catching up, like stated above. I owned the PXC550 for a month and it was great on my morning train commute into the city for college. I only returned them because I much prefer the sound quality of DSD64 through my HD1 for mobile use; going from that to bluetooth isn't flattering for the PXC, especially when the ANC would occasionally make me feel a pressure on my inner ear which was odd. Either way, The PXC has built in touch controls on the outside of the earcup and has the best build quality of ANY wireless headphone I've ever heard of. It also has the best features and sounds great for what it is. It absolutely crushes any Bose headphone in every category, except ANC which may be about the same.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 18
Active noise cancelling involves a lot of circuitry, batteries and compromises with sound quality. You should look for IEMs with good isolation: speakers built into earplugs, which can actually block more decibels than noise-cancelling phones. They just shut out the decibels: brief or constant.

Headphonelist has lots of sensible reviews. http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

I have used Shure SE315 and SE535 (wonderful sound), RHA MA-750i (also great), 1more Triple Driver (very good, under $100), Sony XBA-H1. Got most of them on Ebay as deals. And you can get Xiaomi Piston 3 IEMs on aliexpress.com for a little more than a Starbucks cappucino. But I'm sure there are others as good. If you want to add to the isolation you can get Comply foam tips or their el cheapo knockoffs at aliexpress.com .

I've never really understood why people go for the noise cancelling option when they are more expensive and don't sound as good as super isolating IEMs. Also, IEMs are lighter, smaller and don't need batteries.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 18
Depends on how "serious" you want to get and how important noise over soundquality is.
One of the best noise supressing solutions with Audio capabilitys i've tried: http://solutions.3mdeutschland.de/w...-WS5SV?N=8457789+3294252498+3294857489&rt=rud
I had them for a year when i was serving at our military. Worked great on the shooting range. Peltor also has headsets which to isolate better, but those come with Bluetooth so...

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 18
Howard Leight (Honeywell) has a few models with connectivity for music (or whatever) as well, called Sync:
http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/sync (NRR = 25)

Something else you could consider - Leight's top earmuffs (the L3) have NRR = 30, and are fairly comfortable (I own a pair that I use outside sometimes) - you could stick some IEMs in underneath them (or any other large over-ear protector) and end up with likely better sound quality than an "all in one" solution (and probably some extra isolation from the IEMs). I've done this a time or two and its worked pretty well, but you lose basically all situational awareness - maybe not a great idea depending on what you're trying to block noise from.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 18
Attenuation ratings are given on the product page...just scroll down...

"Work never sounded so good with the PeltorTM WS Workstyle. Stay protected whilst taking calls wirelessly or streaming music. Wireless Bluetooth® connection to your mobile phone allows you to manage phone calls directly in the headset. Built-in level-dependent function lets wearers hear ambient sound, such as conversation, machine sounds and warning signals Integrated noise cancelling microphone VOX function for handsfree operation of the communication radio Auto power off function Auto power off function Specifications: Attenuation rating (HML)‎ ‎ H=32 M=29 L=22 Attenuation rating (SNR)‎ ‎ 31 Decibel Battery Life‎ ‎ 150 Hours Colour‎ ‎ Black Communication Type‎ ‎ Wireless Bluetooth®,‎ Two-Way,‎ External Audio Input Connection Type‎ ‎ Wireless Bluetooth® Features‎ ‎ Advanced VOX (Voice Operated Transmit),‎ DSP (Digital Noise Reduction),‎ PTT Function,‎ Supports Bluetooth A2DP profile for streaming high quality stereo sound Function‎ ‎ Bluetooth Hearing Protection Style‎ ‎ Headband Net Weight‎ ‎ 368 g Product Series‎ ‎ WS Series Product Type‎ ‎ Communications Headsets Standards/Approvals‎ ‎ CE Approved Typical Application‎ ‎ High Noise Environment User Type‎ ‎ Motorsport,‎ Military & Police,‎ Industry"

Those look really really expensive though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back