What is the longest time that you took to complete a project?
Jul 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
For me it is a Beta 22 build. I don't really know exactly when I started it. My earliest Mouser order of the project is dated November 19 2008. I wasn't sure if it is my earliest order of the project, but if it isn't it should be close. I remembered I took leave from work end December 2008 or early January 2009 to complete the project, but something happened to my reef tank and I fell very sick after working on it. After that the project basically got halted as I was busy and drifted to other hobbies, the parts are lying around in my living room and they got very dusty.

Lately my preamp died, and the only way I can listen to the speakers without going deaf is to use a Creative USB sound card as a preamp, which is unacceptable. The cheapest way I could get a decent preamp is to finish this thing and the project went full speed ahead. For the last 2 days I pretty much did nothing but case work, and even lost slee. And finally yesterday at July 30 2011 I managed boxed them up. That is more than 2 years and 7 months. Although technically it still isn't completed as I need to replace the crappy plastic insert knobs which hasn't arrived.
tongue.gif

I'm sure you guys has your share of stories like this. What is the longest time that you took to complete a project?

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 7
My project for my first degree 
started it about 2 years ago
still at it
should have submitted it a year ago

edit:
it is an electronics related project - just no audio (robotics)

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 7
I think I took about 4-5 months (from parts order) to finish my first project, a balanced b22.

It really only took a weekends worth of work, but I was just mega lazy since uni and stuff kept getting in the way
tongue.gif

Man do I hate casework, it was literally watching paint dry for me. I especially hate it because it's the most time consuming part of DIY for me and I know that it has absolutely no effect on the sound whatsoever. I'm never ever going to make a pretty looking amp, but at least they'll sound the part, ahaah.

I've got mad respect for the people with pretty wooden case amps now.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't know yet. :D

There are still quite a few waiting for assembly. The workshop was supposed to be done last November. We haven't gotten to it yet. But we're inching closer.

The good news is that I'll be able to keep myself entertained with DIY for a solid year without having to buy parts. :)

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 7
It took me 2 years (give or take) between deciding I wanted to build the silver ghost, and actually having it make music. 

Photo credit: VPIvinylspinner, from the chicago canjam. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Its a par-metals aluminum case.

I used a greenlee punch for the tube socket holes. They cost like $10-30 second hand, and are totally worth it even for just a few holes.

The holes for the XLR's on the front panel were made with a "stepped unibit". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back