What is the headphone that you will keep forever and never sell?
Mar 4, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 76
Hifiman HE-500

1000012507.jpg

I'll have to be buried with my HE-500.

It's sorta interesting to look back at when the HE-500 came out. It was competing against the Audeze LCD-2 and Sennheiser HD800, yet undercut them by $300+, and to many of us sounded better than those. But unlike the other two, they never got a proper successor, only some almost-but-not-quite ones. HE560, HE5XX, and Arya are all good in their own right, but never quite captured the magic of the HE-500. There must have been some technology or manufacturing processes Hifiman just couldn't justify keeping around due to cost...

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #32 of 76

It's sorta interesting to look back at when the HE-500 came out. It was competing against the Audeze LCD-2 and Sennheiser HD800, yet undercut them by $300+, and to many of us sounded better than those. But unlike the other two, they never got a proper successor, only some almost-but-not-quite ones. HE560, HE5XX, and Arya are all good in their own right, but never quite captured the magic of the HE-500. There must have been some technology or manufacturing processes Hifiman just couldn't justify keeping around due to cost...
HE-500 and HE-6 are special. They have a thicker diaphragm than the later models, giving a different and more powerful sound. I love both.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #33 of 76
I honestly can’t imagine ever selling my ZMF Atrium Closed. The sound signature suits me perfectly and it does exceptionally well with the genres I listen to a lot. 👍👍❤️

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #34 of 76
Where do I start? A promise broken too often but I can’t part with my HD800S…although I did many times only to buy it again and again.
... the Head-Fi version of Richard Burton & Elizabeth Taylor ... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #35 of 76
Hifiman HE-500

1000012507.jpg
I remember them. Their sound Was great and the price performance ratio as well.

The build gives me the creeps nowadays though

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #36 of 76
After more than a year of owning, I think that Meze 109 Pro are one the best piece I have ever owned. I probably like them more than Empyrean, which are amazing.
And I bought HE6se V2 again after selling them, so these seems like a keeper for me as well.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #37 of 76
For me, it is and always has been the TH900.

IMG_6498.jpeg

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #39 of 76
Hmmm...probably my Sennheisers, the 600 & 800S. As well as my LCD2s. The rest I could theoretically see myself selling, although I doubt it.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #40 of 76

Yeah, the HE-5XX, HE-5 SE, HE-560 - no dice. The closest is the HE-6 SE (more technical, but can be modded and PEQ'd so when my 500 ceases - I won't be bereft - or at least too bereft)

As for the long cups - the HEK V2 and Stealth (if you tamp down the mid treble a bit) are the closest to the 500 IMO, but not very close.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #41 of 76
I never had an issue with the build?
Love the driver, everything else changed and I'm solid (4XX headband, Black Dragon cable, Arctic thin screens, DCA Ether Angled) and I suspect @ThanatosVI would be more confident with a different headband.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 76
According to the topic, it will be Utopia 2022 for me, not because of the sound quality (it sounds really good tho), but because of the price I have to sell it with, so I think I might just keep it forever.:face_palm:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #44 of 76
For me it is the Verite Closed the first time i heard them with a Decent Tube Amp was the first time i cried because of a song since i was a teen and not simply because they sounded so good (which they were) because i felt all that pain and sadness of the song( Eye to Eye by The Slow Show ) as it were my own it was kind of scary and something i didnt know could happen. Besides that they are perfect for every genre i listen to and very good with EQ i dont EQ them normally but when i listen to EDM and want some fun swoosh a (6 DB 100Hz 0.7 Q) Low Shelf and they are Bassy but still tight.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #45 of 76
To be totally honest I wouldn't sell any of my current roster. I'm super happy with both of my ZMF's that are now discontinued woods, I'm happy with my custom LCDX 2021 but most of all i'm thrilled that I have the Edition X V2 & HE1000 V2 from HiFiMan. Both models have become increasingly harder to find especially in mint condition which mine are. My Edition X V2 has upgraded gimbal parts so now the yoke and headband are now all metal replacing the crack & chip prone plastic parts. I've got custom color matching cables and cases for both as well and their sound is unlike anything that HiFiMan currently makes. Now that I own both I understand why some people don't sell older models and keep them in heirloom quality. Newer doesn't always mean better and in these two cases that's definitely a true statement.

IMG_0774.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back