What is the function of a tube in a tube DAC?
Jun 8, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

donor

Banned
Can someone please explain to me what this is used for?

I thought tubes were used in amplification. So I don't understand the function of a tube DAC. A DAC is a digital to analogue converter, so why would this require a tube?

Perhaps I am just confused about what tubes actually do, even in an amplifier setting.

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 9
hi. dacs usually give off a very very very low signal and need some sort of amplification to bring the gain level up to the standard 2.25v...

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I've seen a tube clock too (no, not a nixie :p an audio clock)! I'm not sure how that works, but i'd love it if someone could explain (since the original topic has been answered anyway)

and just to clarify for the original post; the tubes in a tube dac are used AFTER the signal has been changed from digital to analogue. they have no part in the conversion process itself

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 9
As already stated, they will be used in the analogue output section to ensure that a 2v (for an industry standard) is outputted. Note that valves tend to do a great job of running in class A. As there's very little load on the analogue output stage, there's nothing like the heat dissipation issues that occur when running speakers on the backend of a power amp, so a valve output stage is actually quite a good idea if well implemented.

In practice, I'd guess that the the majority of the reason is for marketing bragging rights.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Tubes improve the output in the analogue stage, also tubes are voltage controlling devices, as transistors are current controlling devices, which make them sound better in amplification, especially those amps running in Class A (the entire signal).

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 9
This answer is a little more involved than it seems, a tube in a DAC may serve one or more of several functions, as an amplification device to boost the signal to useable levels, as a buffer so that the DAC can drive cables, and as part of a filter to get rid of the noise we don't want. It can also be used to intentionally colour the sound, though I have a very low opinion of manufacturers who do this.

As for why tubes are used, they have two main advantages over most solidstate devices; a high slew rate and lots of voltage headroom. The raw signal coming off the DAC chip itself has a spectra going well out into the MHz range, this necessitates a very fast analog stage to prevent slewing and the subsequent distortion and loss of information. The typical opamp chip used in audio has a slew rate of maybe 10-30V/us, this is not nearly fast enough to avoid slewing. A half-decent tube stage will have a slew rate of well over 100V/us, usually several hundred V/us, a full order of magnitude faster, this is what's needed to pass the signal through without distorting it.

It is possible to build a high-speed transistor stage for a DAC, however this is not a trivial task and not many can successfully implement it. The first of two choices is to use video driver chips, the problem here is that most of these chips have mediocre noise specs when used in audio and they're rather temperamental to work with. The other option is a fully discrete transistor output stage, unfortunately designing one is again something which few audio engineers are familiar with, it's more in the domain of instrumentation & RF designers.

So to summarize, the reason for using tubes is because it works, and it's a solution which is reasonably simple and easy to implement.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a tube clock too (no, not a nixie :p an audio clock)! I'm not sure how that works, but i'd love it if someone could explain (since the original topic has been answered anyway)

and just to clarify for the original post; the tubes in a tube dac are used AFTER the signal has been changed from digital to analogue. they have no part in the conversion process itself

The tube in the clock was most likely a rectifier.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back