What is the first headphone ever made?
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they look somehow more comfortable than grados. :p no, I kid....

I hope they didn't wear them like they are in the picture. They must have had some type of pad.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #32 of 64
no.. they probably wore them like that. I thought I had a picture around here somewhere...

45-127-k.jpg

maybe not?

314_radio_a.jpg

or you just might be onto something.

wp.jpg

can't tell for sure...

orson_welles_at_radio_microphone.jpg

can't find much more...
frown.gif

fuller05.jpg

looking at all of these, I think we can conclude that some of them had pads. If you can call them that....

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #33 of 64
wp.jpg

Was this the first headfi meet?
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #35 of 64
wp.jpg

1927 -- a crack team of Head-fi's "Head-fologists" assemble in secret bunker to determine the fate of the universe -- electrostatic?

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #37 of 64
314_radio_a.jpg

Message Received! The first transcontinental trasmission is received at head-quarters.org by radio operator Skylab, pictured above. Skylab, as pictured, was reviewing his prototype pair of Ebeneezer-Grado brand ear transducers, and questioning why he couldn't get a haircut to match his tattoo, or vice/versa.

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #38 of 64
45-127-k.jpg

All is seemingly well at head-quarters.org, but the head-fologists have a problem ... Ayn Rand has intercepted their message and is repeating it! Oh no, she's double blind testing with it!

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #39 of 64
orson_welles_at_radio_microphone.jpg

Whatever will the head-fologists do? Is their secret safe, or will Huey Long broadcast it to the entire nation? Stay tuned for more!

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #41 of 64
Great sequence, Sherwood! And thanks to the Inkmo Image Bank for the photos-- liked the Goddess of Bletchley Park painting best, though Orson's a favorite too.

Most old cans were just that-- cans with electromagnets and thin metal diaphragms and Bakelite earcups. You could get slip-on rubber pads and sometimes you'd see foam rubber in flight helmet 'phones, but most down 'n' dirty communications 'phones were bare bones-- bare Bakelite. Very manly.

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eugen Beyer called the DT 48 not headphone, but "Dynamic Telephone", which is abbreviated as "DT".

Heheh, Beyer Dynamic Telephone 880
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Give me an electrostatic telephone any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back