What is the first headphone ever made?
Apr 9, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
The linked website also gives koss credit for being the first to use a microphone-like polymer driver. 'zat true?

I speculated on this myself awhile back. If that First Glimpse article is correct about the Pro 4A (and there are numerous errors elsewhere), it at least predates the Sennheiser HD 414, which is strongly rumored to've used the capsule from the famous MD 421 microphone. The Koss diaphragm would presumably be larger than that used on any mic I'm aware of, so it would be a case of using dynamic mic technology to get a much lower-mass diaphragm.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 64
Mono Radar/radio recieving headphones have existed almost as long as amplifiable audio signals have been a reality. Late 1910s early 20s. Beyerdynamic invented the musically capable stereo headphone in the late 30s. Koss turned headphones from a professional tool into a mass marketed commodity in the late 50s.

Or something like that.

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mono Radar/radio recieving headphones have existed almost as long as amplifiable audio signals have been a reality.

The power of deduction!

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The power of deduction!

No, I've seen models dated to the mid 20s. Not the sort of thing you'd want to listen to music through though.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 64
Can you post pics of it ?

Some say Grado are 50's headphone style, other say 20's style, i'll like to see pics of that period to see
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I've seen models dated to the mid 20s. Not the sort of thing you'd want to listen to music through though.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #21 of 64
This community needs a brave volunteer to review a pair of Beyerdynamic DT48 for the rest of us, preferably comparing them to standards like the Sennheiser HD650 and/or some Grados.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
...headphones have existed almost as long as amplifiable audio signals have been a reality...

Yes, and even before that, since a headphone/earphone will operate without amplification of any kind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Beyerdynamic invented the musically capable stereo headphone in the late 30s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
This community needs a brave volunteer to review a pair of Beyerdynamic DT48 for the rest of us..

Preferably that stereo 1937 model Carl mentioned...

Don't they come up on eBay every so often? along with the 1937 stereo phonographs and the 1937 stereo reel-to-reel tape recorders?

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This community needs a brave volunteer to review a pair of Beyerdynamic DT48 for the rest of us, preferably comparing them to standards like the Sennheiser HD650 and/or some Grados.

WertherDVX could do that, since he recently acquired a pair of 1952 DT48's, but near as i can tell it would be his first review ever.

The word is that the DT48 is good for dialog, bad for everything else.

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this picture by googling 1920's headphones.

"Royalfone—King of all."—Can't touch that!
icon10.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you post pics of it ?

Some say Grado are 50's headphone style, other say 20's style, i'll like to see pics of that period to see
cool.gif

eduj has this in his sig which I think sums up Grado's style. BTW, I like the style.

Quote:

Team i love the Grado 'It's 1912 and the Titanic is sinking, SOS, telegraph guy' look

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this picture by googling 1920's headphones. Look a lot like Grados

a1royal.jpg

Here's the web site http://members.aol.com/headphone1/phones.htm

I was just about to post that link for Lerio, but it seems you beat me to it.

I once saw I site that catalogued about fifty of that generation of headphones, but typically Google is completely failing me.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 64
Looks like an HP-2 prototype he he

Users who are viewing this thread

Back