What is the fascination with gin?
Apr 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dunno i have had some cheap vodka that tasted like rubbing alcohol filtered through a dead hooker's thong

True enough - I've had alleged scotch that tasted like pisswater beer, rubbing alcohol, and corn syrup, though.

But really what I'm saying is that Scotch seems to be the foremost libation where you can pay a relatively high cost for relatively bad booze. Tequila is probably second.

Vodka has some notable exceptions, like Russian Standard, which is very expensive and (so i hear) tastes terrible.

Quote:

to be perfectly honest absolut is like the bose of vodka

Truly. It isn't exactly what I'd call good.

You can do a lot worse, but absolut just isn't very good. Neither is Smirnoff.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #47 of 53
A nice martini (admittedly I drink both vodka and traditional martinis, dirty or straight) is a great relaxation agent, especially when paired with a connecticut shade wrapped cigar on a warm summer night. Stir with ice to avoid bruising the gin, and enjoy the botanical.

I think the "fascination" with gin is in the complexity and subtlety of the flavors, as it is with other liquors. Just as some people say that Gin tastes like a Christmas tree, others generalize about the tastes of scotch, tequilla, etc. Even those who say that Vodka is supposed to be tasteless are over generalizing. Sample a potato vodka versus a grain based vodka or even a grape based vodka. There are always subtle differences in flavors that can be savored and connoisseured.

Cheers all!

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even those who say that Vodka is supposed to be tasteless are over generalizing. Sample a potato vodka versus a grain based vodka or even a grape based vodka. There are always subtle differences in flavors that can be savored and connoisseured.

Cheers all!

Point of contention: Vodka is fermented from starch. Vodkas claiming to be made from sugary items aren't vodka because they were fermented in a non-vodka process with a different variety of yeast. They're some other kind of mostly-neutral spirit.

Not that i blame these distilleries for grabbing hold of the current fashionability of vodka, but honestly, "grape vodka" is probably more honestly closer to some sort of brandy.

I have the same problem with maple sap 'vodka', which is closer to rum than vodka, but is honestly some completely other kind of spirit that happens to be mostly neutral in the same way that vodka is mostly neutral.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had experience with a wide variety of alcoholic beverages over the years, and can appreciate why each is liked. Even drinks that I tend to eschew such as tequila, I can at least understand why someone else might enjoy it. But gin remains the odd one out. Just today I was over at a friend's place, and he offered me a bit, and once again I couldn't stand the stuff. For those of you who like gin, what exactly is it about the stuff that appeals to you?

Raw Gin is not very pleasant tasting, yes. I can drink it, but prefer whiskey. But mix Gin with grape soda and you get selfmade (Finnish) Long Drink, or "Lonkero" as we call it, much better than most shop equivalents. Add some ice and its perfect drink for hot summer days.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #51 of 53
I'll try and party vicariously through your experiences. Showgirls in the flesh seem much more interesting than the anatomy text in front of me now.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What isn't interesting about gin? The cheap stuff is lousy, but that's true of any alcoholic beverage. What's good is an introduction to the joys of juniper and the blend of other spices. Gin is complex and flavorful.

It is almost warm enough to start in on the Gimlets - one of life's true pleasures.

And where is Duggeh?

Can you tell me how to pronounce Gimlet? so I don't make a fool of myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back