What is the fascination with gin?
Apr 7, 2010 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

JxK

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had experience with a wide variety of alcoholic beverages over the years, and can appreciate why each is liked. Even drinks that I tend to eschew such as tequila, I can at least understand why someone else might enjoy it. But gin remains the odd one out. Just today I was over at a friend's place, and he offered me a bit, and once again I couldn't stand the stuff. For those of you who like gin, what exactly is it about the stuff that appeals to you?

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 53
I tend to agree but i will say this, it is (can be) cheap, can be mixed with most anything and is not particularly telling on the breath. As for drinking it alone or as a feature flavor in a beverage I'll pass.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 53
It's bright, it's refreshing, I love it as a base liquor in summer cocktails (e.g. French 75 or Aviation). I've made a lot of very successful fruit infusions with gin, too.

It is a pretty unusual flavor though, it tastes like pine trees and most of us don't normally associate that flavor with something edible. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 53
I absolutely love gin - after tequila, it is my favorite spirit for sipping!

Juniper berries are perhaps an acquired taste, but I feel the perfuming makes for a cozy, very slightly sharp flavor that is great both summer and winter

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 53
Oh God, for me it was like tasting a pine tree; bark, needles, the whole thing. My friend liked it though because of the taste; said it reminded him of his home in Vermont.
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 53
Apr 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 53
What isn't interesting about gin? The cheap stuff is lousy, but that's true of any alcoholic beverage. What's good is an introduction to the joys of juniper and the blend of other spices. Gin is complex and flavorful.

It is almost warm enough to start in on the Gimlets - one of life's true pleasures.

And where is Duggeh?

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 53
Gin and tonic = The bomb, espeically with a piece of lime on a summers night.

I love G&T so much, but all my friends don't drink it because its "an old persons drink" apparently. If only they knew what they were missing out on.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love G&T so much, but all my friends don't drink it because its "an old persons drink" apparently. If only they knew what they were missing out on.

I always drink gin+tonic whenever I walk into a bar. People trying to get on my good side always tell me it's mature, not "old"
tongue.gif
I always just drink Gordon's though, I'm curious about the nicer stuff now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back