What is the equivilent to FLAC?
Dec 31, 2008 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Benaiir

1000+ Head-Fier
beyersmile.png
I recently got an album in the .flac format, and I tried to put it on my iPod touch. After a couple times of trying I googled "FLAC on an iPod" and I came out empty. Now I want to convert it to another format. How would Apple's lossless affect the quality? Which cconvoersion program is truely the best?

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beyersmile.png
I recently got an album in the .flac format, and I tried to put it on my iPod touch. After a couple times of trying I googled "FLAC on an iPod" and I came out empty. Now I want to convert it to another format. How would Apple's lossless affect the quality? Which cconvoersion program is truely the best?

Lossless is Lossless, all the data is preserved , it is not like transcoding lossy files, and unless the decoding is in some way faulty you get all the correct data back.

Any conversion that produces results different from any other shows that at least one of the two is faulty.

FLAC (lossless) to iTunes Apple Lossless? - AppleInsider

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ho...ssless-293573/

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 21
Apple Lossless.
Cause like FLAC its lossless, meaning that it will store the source audio data without loss.

For convertion I highly recommend Max.
Free (open-source) audio CD ripper and converter, supporting all the most popular codecs and formats out there.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 21
Obviously, Max is only If you're using a mac, for a PC I'd recommend using dBPoweramp, or Foobar.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 21
I'd recommend rockbox if your iPod is supported. I swear by it.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly its no option for the OP, since Rockbox don't support the iPod touch

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly its no option for the OP, since Rockbox don't support the iPod touch

Didn't realise he had a touch. I like the iPod/iPhone OS and seeing the internals of it at WWDC was really cool.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #10 of 21
Agree with craiglester,

dBpoweramp....and it integrates nicely into windows explorer, converts to just about codec under the sun....very nice program.

I use it sometimes to convert my flac to ALAC so I can share my music with my nephew and sister who both have iphones....funny thing is neither of them put any music on them because they say it's a pain in the butt having to run itunes...lol.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard that FLAC and Apple lossless both eat-up battery power. Does Rockbox affect power usage?

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that FLAC and Apple lossless both eat-up battery power. Does Rockbox affect power usage?

..and so do AAC, MP3, WAV, and more. The audio codec who charge the battery while playing have not been developed yet.
tongue.gif

Seriously. To my experience Apple Lossless playback draw a little bit more power than AAC or MP3 playback. Probably because more disk access are needed.

Regarding Rockbox and power usage.
I think it comes down to which device its running on. For some devices, where its been running for ages, they claim lower power consumption than the stock firmware. While on iPod's the power consumption are (at least as of last year) higher than the stock Apple firmware.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While on iPod's the power consumption are (at least as of last year) higher than the stock Apple firmware.

It's better, but still not great. Certainly worth sacrificing for the gains I get. Just wish it was bigger and I could fit my whole library on it at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back