What is the durability of replacement cables for super.fi IEMs?
May 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

agentcooper

New Head-Fier
I pretty much keep my super.fi EBs in my ears most of the day. I use them when I talk on the phone, listen to podcasts on my iPhone, music on my H320, or audio/video on my computers, or just to block out background noise (I work in a research lab and I have to use machines that require earplugs/earmuffs, these IEMs fill the same role). To keep the cables from getting caught on everything at work I run the cable down the front of my shirt and keep my DAPs and phone in my front pocket. As a result I go through the cables fairly quickly - the UE brand lasts a few months before they get stiff (especially around the stretch that wraps around my ear) and/or the cable at the plug goes bad and audio cuts in and out whenever the cable is moved.

Replacing these cables so frequently is getting very costly. And I can't find any that don't equal in cost three or four of the UE cables (except the Westone ES cables). Now, I'm not averse to spending more money on cables IF they last long longer than the cumulative price in UE cables (or *really* improved SQ).

So, can anyone out there personally report on the durability of: Westone ES, Null audio, eBay's awwan cables, or any other cable for the super.fi series? The durability around the plug is paramount.

May 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 7
I had the Westone ES cable for my Tripple.fi and it is the best handling cable I have ever had but due to fit issues in the ears with the phones I didn't have them long enough to comment on the durability.

May 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 7
The new UE super.fi cables are a lot better and won't get stiff. I've only had them for two months, but the material is definitely improved. The new cables have a straight plug, if that's a concern for you. They aren't as thick as the original cables, but they're far from fragile.

The price hasn't changed from $20. But seeing as the UE Custom/Westone ES cables get such good reviews and are only a little more money, they might be the better choice.

May 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 7
I recommend the new black UE cables - much more convenient and comfortable.
However I might try the ES cables if I can a get a hold of those in the uk.

May 13, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 7
I got my ES cable from Jaben. Ask Wilson to cut/file the pins so you get a good fit on the UE phones.

May 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Westone ES, Ultimate Ears Custom cables, and Hearyourself.com/AlienEars.com all have interchangeable cables and I like the SQ of the UE's above the others. Even the OFC eBay cables that Awwan makes special. The customs cables are much more flexible and have less microphonics than the stock SF5 cables but they require a little filing and spreading the pins to fit the SF. If you have a little DIY in you, I took some Mogami 2901 mini lapel mic cable and soldered it to my monitor plugs with a mini xlr and neutriks 3.5 right angle mini plug for a much fuller SQ than any of the stock's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back