What is the difference between the Piccolo cable and Piccolino cable?
Jan 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 30
Why don't you ask the manufacturer for measurements and frequency response graphs that show the difference between the two cables? The response should be enlightening.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:
Jw what the difference is between these two cables? Aren't these suppose to be two of the best sounding cables? Why haven't they been given as much attention as the twag?

the word Piccolo is Italian for small, little, short, etc. (depending on the context used). Piccolino is a diminutive of Piccolo, which can take the meaning of too small, teeny, but essentially means the same thing.

on their web site there's not such a product named Piccolino (unless their referring to the Micro series). therefore I'm guessing someone has mistaken the words, and they're referring to the same cable...?

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 30

Piccolo is one of the famous audiophile cable series from Crystal Cable, a Netherland company. Its founder is the wife of another famous audiophile cable company Siltech's founder. Thus, they share some of the advanced cable technologies.

Piccolino is a headphone cable product line from Null Audio of Singapore, which are re-terminated with the Crystal Cable's Piccolo. At first, Null Audio used the Piccolo to name their headphone cables directly, and later changed the product line to Piccolino to avoid the trademark violation issue.

Since the Piccolino cables are made with the real audiophile cable, this makes Piccolino becomes the best heaphone/connection cable product in headphile market. I am one of the users, both Crystal Cable and Null Audio's Piccolino.

Hope this can answer your question.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

Since the Piccolino cables are made with the real audiophile cable....

what do you mean by that... is the Null Audio's Piccolino in fact Crystal Cable's Piccolo?

Yes, I think they bought the Crystal Cable, and cut them then re-terminate for using on headphone and IC. Because I have side by side compared them, they are the same.

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 30
Reviews like that make me want to bang my head into the wall. Guaranteed without question this guy could not tell the difference between lamp cord and this fancy cable in the real world under A/B back to back testing yet when he plugs it in, magically he can tell this huge vast difference.

To the OP, the difference = nothing to the human ears even vs lamp cord as long as both are terminated properly and making good contact.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 30
Piccolo/ino is a coaxial style (for maximum smallness) cable with a gold/silver alloy center stranded core, insulating layers, then a stranded silver shield, then a clear jacket.  Moon Audio now has a similar cable (it's black, not clear) with an OCC silver core, OCC silver plated OCC copper shielded, coax portable cable.  Might be worth trying, it appears to be super compact.  

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 30
Good jobs showing the difference, Parrots.  Without having to do any critical listening, I clearly can tell the difference in a few minutes of auditioning.  The Piccolino is a piece of art and a technological wonders.  The size is about 24 to 26 awg but it produces tighter bass than my UPOCC copper wires.  It kind of shattered my belief about gauge and bass. 

To Scootermafia, the Moon audio silver Dragon (which I have) is really not similar to the Piccolino in metalurgy, construction and design.  Unlike most silver cables that has that slight brightness (yes including my TWag), the Piccolino is the smoothest silver and gold alloy cable that I have ever heard.  So smooth that it induces very little listening fatigue after long session of listening (like after a 15 hours of transpacific flight).

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 30
I may be wrong but I thought the silver mesh performed a function also (i.e. as a ground) so I am just taking the whole cable into consideration.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
Why don't you ask the manufacturer for measurements and frequency response graphs that show the difference between the two cables? The response should be enlightening.

I did something even better, I asked my brain for measurements and frequency response to show the difference between three cables, and the response was...Yes, very enlightening :wink:

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #15 of 30
this is confusing. are you saying that the Piccolino (first picture) is not made by Crystal Cables? if is not, then who did - Null Audio? not a chance. the cable shown in the first picture doesn't look something a diyer, even with some skill, would be able to do without specific machinery - not to mention the special alloys. on the other hand, the the cable in the second picture (Piccolo) looks like a diyer with some skill could be able to replicate (fake?) like Null Audio. of course, more info would be required before coming to any conclusion.

I think you've the cable confused. the cable in the first picture is definitely made by CC.

Quote:
Null audio do not sell Piccolino cables, the cable he is selling for $600+ is made of the much stiffer piccolo wire which also don't sound nowhere near as good as the Piccolino, as far as I am aware, none of the cables on crystal cables site are made of the Piccolino wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back