what is the difference between studio/dj headphones and normal ones?
Feb 26, 2008 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I see on alot of sites like audiocubes and audio technica site that they split up headphones into "DJ" and "studio" headphones, I am not using headphones for either purpose but what makes these headphones so special?

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 10
I think it might have something to do with 'studio' headphones trying to retain a more neutral sound signature, i.e. less coloration of the sound, whereas 'DJ' headphones tend to emphasize bass, as most DJs care a lot about their bass. It seems pretty vague though, because its the designer deciding what constitutes neutral or colored or what constitutes more bass or less bass, so once again, different headphones sound different, but get classified under these categories because that is what the designer was going for.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Shouldn't "DJ" headphones have more versatility in their movement, too? I could be completely wrong in this, but many swivel, right? So that the DJ can quickly move one of the cans to the side for comparing what's coming out of the house system and what's cued up so that s/he can make the proper transitions?

Or am I expecting too much from companies in assuming that they might actually have their "DJ" headphones fulfill a "DJ" purpose?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Studio technicians need to hear the music clearly. This often means that compromises are made to make the headphone's frequency response flatter, or to reduce distortion, even at the cost of musical enjoyment. A good studio headphone is sometimes not such a great audiophile can, even though it's a very useful tool for the technician. The current line of studio headphones by Fostex is a good example of this.

However, as the quality increases, a top-of-the-line studio can becomes quite similar to a top-of-the-line audiophile can.

DJ headphones are generally closed headphones with good isolation and punchy bass - because nothing else matters to an actual club DJ.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 10
'normal' headphones - comfy, and consumer-enjoyable coloration of the sound, what everyone wants... features range from noise cancellation to total openess depending on what people want and need

'studio' headphones - more industrial, total accuracy , the point is to make the music sound better not the headphones, (i think) these headphones usually have lower sensitivity compared to other headphones

'dj' headphones - extremely soundproof and extremely uncomfortable, its the dj's job to play music not to listen to music, capable of very loud audio output to stand out in the audio environment of a nightclub

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'dj' headphones - extremely soundproof and extremely uncomfortable, its the dj's job to play music not to listen to music, capable of very loud audio output to stand out in the audio environment of a nightclub

i read somewhere, the site escapes me right now, that one of the criteria for a "DJ" headphone would be comfort, as club gigs usually last for hours, and rave parties usually takes well into the night. and the swiveling of the cups is spot on: other pro-dj headphones have only one cup, for the dj to hear and compare the sounds he is about to mix and the one being heard by the crowd.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 10
oh okay, good to know, I just wanted to know whether I was missing out on some good headphones or something
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i read somewhere, the site escapes me right now, that one of the criteria for a "DJ" headphone would be comfort, as club gigs usually last for hours, and rave parties usually takes well into the night. and the swiveling of the cups is spot on: other pro-dj headphones have only one cup, for the dj to hear and compare the sounds he is about to mix and the one being heard by the crowd.

exactly, the reason for the comfort is because you hold it to your ear, not put it on... most of the time the headphones are used swivelled out , on one side... when you actually put on the headphones, its for almost diagnostic reasons like checking the sound input to the mixer or the gain of the next song being played

::edit:: or when you need to use both your hands

May 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 10
I listen mostly to harmony groups (The Brothers Four, Peter Paul & Mary, etc.) and choral groups (Chanticleer, The King's Singers, Libera, Celtic Woman, etc.) and plan to upgrade from my Koss Porta Pro. Should I go for a "studio" or a "dj" headphone? If I limited my choice to the popular ATH-M50, categorized as a studio hp, and the new Aiaiai TMA-1, a dj hp, which one should I go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back