what is the difference between stax omega 1 and stax omega2
May 4, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Q: what is the difference between stax omega 1 and stax omega2?

A: You can buy Omega 2, but it's impossible to find original SR-Omega
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 11
Q: what is the difference between stax omega 1 and stax omega2?

A: You can ask Stax to repair Omega 2, but it's impossible to rapair original SR-Omega except frame
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 11
OK, forget my jokes. You are serious.

my personal view for SQ of SR-Omega compared with SR-007. There must be a lot more discussion in this forum.

- Less bass level, but it's tight. I think Omega has correct level and SR-007 is a bit boomy.

- shiny treble

- more analytic. It can sing painfully to ears despite SR-007 never does.

The differences are matter of preference. I loved Omega over 007 though.

May 4, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Apparently the SR-Omega are very high maintenance phones, you must be careful how you drive them as apparently there is a flaw in them that can cause them to kill themselves, and if you do there is no way of fixing them.

*waits for Spritzer to hit the thread*

May 4, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 11
An honest consideration - fit. I have a small dome and the SR-Omega was too big, resulting in a non-ideal fit on the head. Over time this led both to discomfort and non-optimal musical presentation. In contrast, the SR-007 had a like a glove feeling on the head.

In terms of the music itself:
- SR007 had an uncanny ability to retrieve detail, often deceptively so. Whilst the SR-Omega was also detailed, I found the 007 to be more so. Moving to any other cans after either sounded like I had cotton wool in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

- Bass depth and tautness was better with the 007, as was impact ("thwack" factor). However the Omega's I found to have great texture and timbral accuracy....being able to convey tone of bass
- 007 was certainly darker, though never rolled off or dull (hence the abovementioned deceptive description).
- Soundstaging was larger on the SR-Omega, smaller and more intimate on the 007, but the latter was also more clearly defined....never compressed, never thin, just right.
- In line with the above, the instrument placement was more accurate with the 007, although the Omega had a greater sense of space and instrument seperation (air between sounds).
- In both midrange and highs, both very extremely detailed. I think the words I could use - one description for each can - was: the 007 was better at distinctly portraying layering; the Omega better at portraying texture.

Addendum: the above using an SRM-717 solid state energizer, and a selection of copper and silver interconnect cables (yes, they made a difference
wink.gif
)

May 4, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently the SR-Omega are very high maintenance phones, you must be careful how you drive them as apparently there is a flaw in them that can cause them to kill themselves, and if you do there is no way of fixing them.

*waits for Spritzer to hit the thread*

man, you scared me now. What should i do to drive the headphone safely?
I am planning to match it with my SRM-007?
any tips or advises to prolong its their life time plz
thanks

May 4, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 11
It's not so much a matter of driving them safely to avoid damage....more the issue that, should damage occur, they're essentially done for.

Unless you want to peform the sacrilegous act that I have came across whereby they replace the original stators with spares from the 007
rolleyes.gif

May 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you think how long the Omega can survive with well care?

It's impossible to tell. One hard bump and they are done for or they can survive for decades. The drivers can be replaced with SR-007 units and the phones will retain much of the character as the housing provides much of it but they will not be the same. They should be better though as the newer drivers are much better designed then the older units and can survive almost anything.

As for a comparison read this. It's one of the best reviews ever written and says it all. In a nutshell though the SR-Ω is more like the HE90 then the SR-007 with looser bass, general confusion at high SPL levels, uncontrolled upper midrange and a larger then life soundstage. I do like them but the SR-007 is a much better and more neutral transducer.

As for amps the SR-Ω needs something a whole lot better then the 007t. It will work but you won't hear what the phones really can do as the amp hasn't got enough power. They aren't as power hungry as the SR-007 so work great of a stock Blue Hawaii but a KGSS should be a good match as well.

Now for a pic of the phones in question with the SR-007A thrown in for fun:
main.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back