What is the degree for this
Dec 3, 2007 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
So it is time to decide what I want to do with my life. All I have ever thought about is working as a doctor, specifically in an ER or an ICU, but what is the specific degree for this job, college-wise? And are there any colleges in Hawaii that can offer me the opportunity to get the degree for the job? I have thought about other careers, but the only one I have really sustained is one in the medical field, if you can mention anything exciting, please do (I have entertained the thought of being a fighter pilot). I have a good transcript, so I should be able to get into many colleges (straight a's lifetime, in athletics etc) but I am really hoping to go somewhere in Hawaii, I was down there for a stretch of time and nothing beats the atmosphere there imo (once again if you have a suggestion, please do mention it.) I am currently in Illinois but prepared to face the financial wrath of out of state medical school.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 5
You have to go to Med School. What your Undergrad major is is largely irrelevant. Premed is a poor choice IMO because it basically means "if you don't go to Med School this is worthless". Physics is a solid choice because it teaches you the kind of reasoning you'll need in Med School and is in fact more likely to get you into a top med school than a Premed or Bio degree.

Basically: Get an undergrad that interests you and then go to Med school.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to go to Med School. What your Undergrad major is is largely irrelevant. Premed is a poor choice IMO because it basically means "if you don't go to Med School this is worthless". Physics is a solid choice because it teaches you the kind of reasoning you'll need in Med School and is in fact more likely to get you into a top med school than a Premed or Bio degree.

Basically: Get an undergrad that interests you and then go to Med school.

I disagree. I've known a few people that transitioned to med school after college. It makes more sense to get a degree in something that's related to medicine in some way. Physics would be ok but that's a really hard major (I have respect for anyone who graduates in physics), as is chemistry (which would also be good). Most people do go the pre-med or bio route which would be a good training or education for yourself, but if you want to stand out to get into an above-average med school, do something different that's still relevant - it's usually optimal to major in one of the science fields (big exception, CS).
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 5
A lot of people to do an "easier" major like psychology so they can focus on finishing the hard prerequisite classes for med school (physics, chemistry, biology, etc.).

A lot of medical schools nowadays actually smile upon those who major in something non-medical, because the philosophy is that they'll teach you what you need to know about the sciences once you're in. Economics is a popular alternative. Everyone who is a candidate for medical school takes the required prerequisite science courses anyway, so it doesn't hurt to major in something non-science.

Also, make sure you allow a good amount of time to take the MCAT. This is probably one of the more important parts of a candidate.

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 5
If you don't necessarily want to go the full med-school route (at least at first), physician's assistants (PA's) & nurses are always in high demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back