What is the cheapest config you can live with if you had to sell everything else?
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
In the face of ever escalating material and energy costs and manufacturers demanding ever more from customers, I have been thinking about what would be the least expensive config that I can be happy with for the long term. After bunch of testing and thinking I have arrived at my config below. What would be your config?

Linn Klimax DS -> Headamp GS-1 mk2 -> HD650

(So amp + headphone in total is less than 1/10 of the cost of source in case you were wondering)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 43
Creative SoundBlaster E5 + Creative BT-W3 USB bluetooth adapter, Sennheiser HD660S, and Modmic Wireless for chat audio. Oh, and throw in an Audiophile Ninja 4' 3.5mm cable for the 660S.

The SoundBlaster E5 works wired with PS5/PC. It has AptX-LL bluetooth reception, virtual surround options, and plenty of power for the 660S. It can also be paired to the BT-W3 transceiver for wireless use with PS5/PC. For me, that would cover gaming, movies, and music, with the option to be wired or wireless.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 43
Wiim Pro > Schiit Modi Multibit 2 > Nitsch Magni Piety > Hifiman Sundaras. I know the Mimby2 isn't out yet but should be a much less expensive alternative to Bifrost 2/64 while retaining some of that multibit goodness. A real cheapskate could substitute a Wiim Mini for the Pro for maybe a little over half the cost. Happy ears for WELL under a G.:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 43
drop x grace sdac > bottlehead crack > hd600.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 43
Of what I own, my current traveling kit of iPhone>Topping G5>DCA Stealth. If I was to buy something, probably could spend half of that and be happy for the long term. When thinking about the above, the one edit I'd want to make is somehow still have Roon. So I guess Roon is what I'd miss most.

Dec 25, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 43
Cambridge CXC CD transport OR TIDAL Hi-Res -> iFi ZEN Stream
-> Gumby -> BHCs -> HD-300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back