What is the best way to ship US to Canada??
Jan 15, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 27
Yes. I recently had an amazingly fast turnaround with USPS airmail. Tracking is a good (non-standard for USPS) option to get if you're making a transaction. You'll want to confirm receipt of your item and whatnot just in case something goes wrong.

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
Tracking is a good (non-standard for USPS) option to get if you're making a transaction.

Is tracking on option on USPS? I thought that they didn't do cross-border tracking. Please advise if they do.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 27
USPS Express is fine. For me, it cost just a dollar more than shipping Airmail to Canada with tracking and insurance - and it comes with free tracking and $100 insurance. Gets there in 2-3 business days.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
They sure do. I had some tubes in hawaii that took about 1 1/2 months to arrive. The tracking eased my mind.

My experience has been that postal service tracking is not particularly useful, if you're expecting courier-style tracking. Couriers will scan an item every time something happens to it, whereas postal tracking usually shows only a couple points along the way. It does not always show anything beyond "Item has entered destination country," and it is also updated more slowly.

Jan 16, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #21 of 27
Yeah, I haven't found USPS tracking to be very helpful. Usually it'll have one statement that is was recieved at the post office, and then another saying it left the country on a certain flight. It's usually quite quick so I don't worry about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #22 of 27
I bought a used lcd from the US that was valued at 125$ CAD and fedex charged me 45$ for duties and other crap like that. Stay away from them. UPS rips you off too.

I've had nothing but great experiences with normal post and dhl is my fav from couriers.

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_digital
fedex charged me 45$ for duties and other crap like that.

I find that highly unlikely that it was duty. Usually duty is not charged on Can-US border crossing items because of NAFTA, and customs doesn't check into where the item was manufactured.

They probably charged you GST and PST, and maybe a modest handling charge for customs inspection.

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 27
When I sent a used META amp to Canada last year via FedEx the buyer had to pay taxes on it. I showed it as built in the USofA and I think I fibbed on the value of the item also. My friend still got hammered for tax.
confused.gif

I think the shipping charge I paid was around 40 bucks for that little box. I will never send to Canada via FedEx again.

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
LOL I dont' have experience with fedex but here mine with the UPS

Of course you got burned...because you used UPS.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
When I sent a used META amp to Canada last year via FedEx the buyer had to pay taxes on it. I showed it as built in the USofA and I think I fibbed on the value of the item also. My friend still got hammered for tax.

Of course he paid taxes on it. Being built in the USA only means that there is to be no duty charged on the item. Provincial and Federal sales taxes still apply. Customs still charges sales taxes on used items because if they didn't, everyone would claim their item is used. Technically when you think about it, since it is being bought from the US used, no Canadian sales taxes have been applied to it before, hence it isn't really out of place for tax to be charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back