What is the best way to ship US to Canada??
Jan 15, 2006 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

B-side J

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering what the safest way to ship from the Us to Canada is? Has anyone had bad experiances with any carriers? Who is the fastest to cross the border? Thanks

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 27
I've had great success with FedEx. I suppose US Postal Service would work - it's hit and miss with me time wise. I don't recommend United Parcel Service unless you want to be kicked in the teeth with their handling charges - expect $50+ for small packages on cross border shipping in addition to what's paid on departure.

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 27
Do USPS or Fedex have a handeling charge as well?

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 27
I have used FedEx and USPS to ship from Oregon to Ontario.
FedEx cost a fortune when I used it.
Postal service global priority mail was reasonable.
Delivery time was good with both. I can't remember how long it took, but neither seemed to take too long.

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 27
I should menthion that it is a DAP bought used. MOD EDIT: removed discussion of committing a federal crime.

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
Just wondering what the safest way to ship from the Us to Canada is? Has anyone had bad experiances with any carriers? Who is the fastest to cross the border? Thanks

I've had experiences with every carrier. None of them is safe. I wouldn't even bother buying insurance. It usually doesn't cover damage on used products, anyway. The couriers will clear an item through a Customs ahead of time using their own broker, so there is usually little delay at the border with them, whereas post will deal directly with Canada Customs and that can take a long time. I once had a preamp shipped by airmail from Seattle to Victoria that took over two weeks. UPS or FedEx ground will screw you badly with extra bullsh*t fees that often come to more than the 14% tax does, whereas post is a flat $5 (might be $8 now). With the express (air) courier services, delivery is pretty quick, there are usually no delays at the border, and you pay taxes but no extra fees. Of course, those cost a lot in the first place.

Jan 15, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 27
Duties and Taxes aren't applicable on USED items thought are they?

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Duties and Taxes aren't applicable on USED items thought are they?

You bet they are. However, basically nothing manufactured in the US or Canada will be charged duties (because of NAFTA), and even if it is manufactured outside US/Canada, Customs would be unlikely to check this. But you'll get charged GST/PST based on the declared value regardless of whether you bought it new or used.

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 27
Also, does anyone know if there is a easy way for find rates from different companies?

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMHBAT
You bet they are. However, basically nothing manufactured in the US or Canada will be charged duties (because of NAFTA), and even if it is manufactured outside US/Canada, Customs would be unlikely to check this. But you'll get charged GST/PST based on the declared value regardless of whether you bought it new or used.

does USPS avoid the duties, etc?

Jan 15, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Also, does anyone know if there is a easy way for find rates from different companies?

They all have websites that in theory allow you to calculate the rates. I think every time I've done this, though, it's been different when I go to actually ship the thing. I've even brought in print-outs from the website. They just shrug. Like I said: not a fan of the various shipping people. But the websites will give you at least an idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
does USPS avoid the duties, etc?

No shipping service "avoids the duties, etc." These are charged by Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, which inspects or otherwise processes every item entering the country. It makes no difference who is bringing an item acorss the border: postal service, private courier, or just you in your car.

As I said, though, duty will very rarly be an issue for US/Canadian transactions because of NAFTA. I have never been charged duty on any electronics, cables, or speakers that I have imported from the US, even in the few cases where the product had not been manufactured in either country (e.g. a Cairn amp manufactured in France), although if I understand the system correctly, that may have been an oversight.

Taxes, on the other hand, will be owing, based on the declared value of the item (or the insured value, whichever is higher, I believe). For all Canadians, this will be 7% GST (or HST out east, although I'm not sure what that's about). In addition, provincial sales tax will be charged based on the PST rate in the province to which the item is being delivered. And again, this is charged by CCRA, so nothing (legally) avoids it.

Jan 15, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 27
tmh: Gifts valued under $60 should not have duty levied on them, but purchased products should. DHL once tried to make me pay duty and handling charges on a $40 gift. I wrote back refusing to pay and pointing out that no duty should have been paid on the item. Never heard back, so either they agreed with me or just gave up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back