What is the best USB powered Amp/DAC available?
Dec 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ProblemChild

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from the Fiio E17 but there are a lot of options. My budget is $400 max. Is there a definitive go to? Not quite reference quality but in that realm. My one requirement is that I want it to be USB powered. I like the portability of the E17. It's makes listening on my laptop really convenient. My main set of headphone is the DT770 Pro 250ohms.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 7
I'd like to know as well. At the moment I have a DACport which I think is quite good though I admittedly have been looking to upgrade from them for no reason in particular.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 7
check out the dacportLX......
it can power my dt770/600ohm off my macAir to a loud volume..
and i do listen to my cans LOUD.
very clean sounding, black background. 
i much prefer this to the first dacport.

only caveat is there is no volume control ON the dacportLX itself, 
u either have to control that on the laptop software like ITUNE,
or if u hooked it to another amp...then the volume control on that amp.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Note that the Dacport LX is a dac only. The Dacport is a dac/amp. I used to have one and thought it was a great unit, though I eventually sold it because I wanted something battery powered as well. 

I've been really tempted to buy an XM6 many times now, but I've just got far too many toys to justify it. It runs off usb, but I don't think it's usb powered as it uses a separate charger.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Update: I ended up ordering the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII with the OPA209AID. Im expecting this to be a nice upgrade from the Fiio E17 but not sure it will be the end all be all. Hopefully Im wrong. It would be nice to just settle in with the Leckerton and start enjoying some music again! I feel like Im over analyzing the sound quality of the E17 when I use it. Just not totally impressed I guess.

Thanks for the inputs guys..much appreciated. I'll update this thread with my thoughts on the UHS-6S.MKII once I get some time with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back