What is the best type of headphone for bass and sound quality for under $400?
Nov 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

connoryoung

New Head-Fier
I am looking at buying a new pair of headphones that are under $400 but i still want it to have the best sound quality and a really good bass. I listen to mostly rap and hip hop and am not sure what type to get. I am not going to get an extra amp or anything to add to it because i am using it only to listen to music (no recording). Which type should i get? i have looked at tons of types including bose, sennhieser, beats, and beyerdynamic and kipsch but dont know which one to get or which model.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 18
beyer dt 770 - 80 ohm

or ultrasone pro 900

just ordered the pro 900s myself, should come in the mail tomorrow 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 18
either way both those headphones are known for their amazing bass.

the sony xb series is also very good for their price though.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 18
D2000 properly amped is very good. Running a lyr + d2000 combo. It is not bass shy at all, but highs may be a bit much for some.  If you like the sound of crisp glass breaking with thumping deep bass, then this is what i would recommend.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 18
When you get up towards the $400 range, you end up with mostly headphones that are going to require an amp to sound decent, depending on your source.  The AIAIAI TMA-1 would probably be awesome for that genre, and drive really easily.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 18
to be honest, if u listen to hip hop, club electro music mostly, a $150 headphone will sound just as good as a $400 headphone. It is all about the beat and bass, not about accuracy and precision.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 18
I purchased my Denon AH-D7000 headphones for $450.00 usd in used condition. Could not be happier.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 18
Okay, I don't care for hip-hop; then again, I do care for the D2000. Ample bass, full sound, comfortable. Most headphones profit from amping, but the D2000 is pretty efficient even without an amp. Keep your eyes open for a used or refurb unit; used, you can get a wood D5000 for under $400 from Amazon, used.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
No need for all these rude replies implying that hip-hop isn't worth quality equipment.  It's just ignorant to assume that there aren't many well-recorded and produced hip-hop and rap albums.

Trust me it's a waste of time trying to explain that to people here.

For what it's worth, the D2000s are great for rap and hip-hop and I listen to plenty of it.  It's especially good for the newer stuff, but some of the old 90s stuff (Wu-Tang, Gangstarr, etc.) really needs to be remastered.  The remastered Illmatic album by Nas is one such album that when given the right attention can still shine even if it was cut up from raw samples.

Most of Kanye West's stuff is ace in Hi-Fi.  If it's rough or distorted in some tracks it's because he intended it to have that sound.  Some of what makes rap unique is having that underground, made in the bedroom sound.  Kind of like how some punk bands still record in Lo-Fi or in their parent's garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back