What is the best sounding "Most Portable" AMP?
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #17 of 24
Another vote for the RSA Mustang P-51

Quote:

Originally Posted by martini1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for a little bit OT. How does the P-51 compared to a home (full size) amp like the Shanling or Little Dot (MK2 or 2?)?

I have compared the P-51 with the Little Dot MKV in the past and the P-51 was better with my Edition 9.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No my Shure SE530's are for outside use. The reason I don't want a home amp is because I want to use the amp with my HD800's and SE530's.

I have the SE530s and the HD600. The P-51 drives both of them very well. IMO you can't go wrong with this amp in the portable category with these phones. I am not really a fan of the SE530s sig. sound, nor the HD600 for that matter, but with the P-51 they are both enjoyable listens.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 24
Aloha, has any one tried the Headgate Arrow?
I heard it is better than the Lyrix, but no one in the real world to confirm...

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the SE530s and the HD600. The P-51 drives both of them very well. IMO you can't go wrong with this amp in the portable category with these phones. I am not really a fan of the SE530s sig. sound, nor the HD600 for that matter, but with the P-51 they are both enjoyable listens.

What improvements did the Mustang have on the SE530's?

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P-51 hands down. It's really a freak of nature, to be so small, yet deliver such big sound. I do not find it grainy at all. It provides great resolution through the entire sound spectrum. The highs are very detailed without any graininess, at least to my ears. Now, maybe the amp that was listed as being grainy was not burnt in. Right out of the box, it makes for a pretty rough listen. But at about 90 hours, it sounds incredibly sweet!

I really agree with this and also found that after about 100 hours with the P-51 things sounded very different from when I first started listening. No graininess at all for me.

Now you want portable? Try a Xin SuperMicro!! With my DT880s: a-bloody-mazing. Of course, you'd have to wait till your 90 to get a SuperMicro!

Go for the P-51. You'll be happy. And, as many have said, Ray provides great customer service.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What improvements did the Mustang have on the SE530's?

More lively, better separation are the main things.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the RSA Mustang P-51

I have compared the P-51 with the Little Dot MKV in the past and the P-51 was better with my Edition 9.

Thanks for the info. Interesting... I am very close to buying a Shanling hp amp
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back