What is the best sounding "Most Portable" AMP?
Apr 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

VoLTaG3

Banned
Hey, I know the Lisa III is by far the best sounding amp but the thing is a huge brick and doesn't last very long with battery life. I want a amp that can effectively drive my future Sennheiser HD800's and remain quite compact and attach to the bottom of my Zune. Also the other reason I want a smaller amp than the Lisa III is because when I use my Shure SE530's for outside I can plug them into the amp also instead of having a amp that cant come outside due to it's size. Money is no problem....
  1. RSA P-51 Mustang
  2. iBasso D10
  3. iQube
  4. Pico
Which is the best amp to match up with the HD800's?
Thanks....

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 24
I would say go for the iQube if you want neutral sound. And the P-51 if you want a more "involving" and alive sound with focus one the mids. I would choose the P-51 if I could live with only one amp. The iQube drives the K701's much better than the P-51 though.

I would say both P-51 and iQube has good synergy with HD650. But that might not be the same with HD800...

The Pico is great but I like the more "dry" sound from the P-51. I havn't heard the D10 yet...

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say go for the iQube if you want neutral sound. And the P-51 if you want a more "involving" and alive sound with focus one the mids. I would choose the P-51 if I could live with only one amp. The iQube drives the K701's much better than the P-51 though.

I would say both P-51 and iQube has good synergy with HD650. But that might not be the same with HD800...

The Pico is great but I like the more "dry" sound from the P-51. I havn't heard the D10 yet...

Ok, thanks. I have my eyes on the RSA P-51 Mustang since it is so compact. Did the Mustang drive your HD650's to an adequate volume for your listening pleasure? Because I would hate to see as small as these amps are they can't push my HD800's to a high enough volume...Also being that the iQube provides a nuetral sound......hmmmmm.....aarrrrghhhh I hate tough decisions.... Also will these amps even provide their own sound signature if it was receiving the source signal from a very clean already amped signal from my Zune 120gb's headphone out or is it best to get a iPod and use a LOD?

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thanks. I have my eyes on the RSA P-51 Mustang since it is so compact. Did the Mustang drive your HD650's to an adequate volume for your listening pleasure? Because I would hate to see as small as these amps are they can't push my HD800's to a high enough volume...

Oh yeah. I am always on LOW gain on the P-51 and it can drive my HD650 to very uncomfortable listening volumes... I wouldn't even imagine how it is like on Medium or High gains... Havn't tried...

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 24
Maybe you should get the HD800 first or wait for impressions paired with iQube and P-51 - even though waiting times are hard times. But if you can not wait go for the P-51 :wink:

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 24
RSA Predator ...imho.

but its very expensive here.

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 24
okay i havent the d10, but i've head the other 3, and for me it's the pico by a long shot.

the iqube is described as neutral and flat and clean but it just a little lifeless in comparision. the sound stage is wide but flat, like there's not much depth in the music.

the p51 was quite grainy and raspy, and in comparison i enjoyed the smoothness of the pico more.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you going to be using the hd800 outside?

if not then I'd personally get a home amp, besides which I cant imagine anyone taking outside $1500 full size cans.

No my Shure SE530's are for outside use. The reason I don't want a home amp is because I want to use the amp with my HD800's and SE530's.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 24
Ahhhhh ok I'm with you, you want to buy an amp that will do for all your listening portable, at home, etc etc.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I would still suggest a home amp.

The reason being for this is that the se530 are incredibly sensitive and efficient earphones. I have these iem's and do use them with an amp, however, these are probably one iem that really could be used without an amp.

Obviously, its nice to have an amp, an extra toy, bit of tech etc, im as guilty as the next man for using gear just because... but in your circumstances where there is an hd800 coming I would still recommend a look at home amps.

Generally speaking also, for the same money you would spend on a portable amp, you could get a better home amp.

Of course the choice is yours as to which path you ultimately go down, but I am just throwing this out there to give you something more to think about.

p.s. for what it's worth, I have / had 3 of the portables listed in your original post, d10, iqube and pico, the one thing I would say is that the pico has the most power to drive phones out of those three from what I understand, then the iqube then the d10, no idea where the p51 sits among them

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the p51 was quite grainy and raspy

I think this must be the rsa house sound. Both my tomahawk and hornet m sounded like this and I sold them thinking they lacked resolution and introduced noise.

The thing is, I find myself jonesing for the rsa sound and wish I had kept at least one of those amps. I think an rsa is in my future.

sorry for the hijack, back to the discussion lol

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this must be the rsa house sound. Both my tomahawk and hornet m sounded like this and I sold them thinking they lacked resolution and introduced noise.

The thing is, I find myself jonesing for the rsa sound and wish I had kept at least one of those amps. I think an rsa is in my future.

sorry for the hijack, back to the discussion lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay i havent the d10, but i've head the other 3, and for me it's the pico by a long shot.

the p51 was quite grainy and raspy, and in comparison i enjoyed the smoothness of the pico more.

Crap. Had my eyes set on the Mustang until I read these comments. Can anyone else vouch that the Mustang adds grain to the mix?
triportsad.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 24
P-51 hands down. It's really a freak of nature, to be so small, yet deliver such big sound. I do not find it grainy at all. It provides great resolution through the entire sound spectrum. The highs are very detailed without any graininess, at least to my ears. Now, maybe the amp that was listed as being grainy was not burnt in. Right out of the box, it makes for a pretty rough listen. But at about 90 hours, it sounds incredibly sweet!

For the person that asked where to buy one, Ray Samuels Audio, the maker, would be where to go. Great guy and great service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back