what is the best software for ripping to apple lossless?
Apr 27, 2009 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi. i decided to post this here..sorry if it's not the right place, but what is considered to be the best software for apple lossless ripping?
thx!

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 13
I guess that you should distinguish between ripping and encoding and to use EAC for ripping to .wav and then iTunes to encode .wav-s to apple lossless.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that you should distinguish between ripping and encoding and to use EAC for ripping to .wav and then iTunes to encode .wav-s to apple lossless.

i dont understand.. why ripping to wav and after encode to alac? can't i just rip straight to alac?..like with itunes? i just looking for something maybe more accurate than i tunes.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont understand.. why ripping to wav and after encode to alac? can't i just rip straight to alac?..like with itunes? i just looking for something maybe more accurate than i tunes.

Using EAC to rip to WAV first is exactly what you are looking for since EAC is known to rip more accurately than iTunes under specific settings.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 13
However, chances you'll notice the difference for almost twice the time/effort - Pretty much nil.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 13
The difference is likely to be greater the worse the condition of the cd you rip. For faultless cd's you are unlikely to notice any difference.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 13
I highly recommend Max.
...or wait for Rip, which currently are in beta (closed) stage.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 13
^ You're most welcome!
Give it a try, then report back with you impressions (or specific questions if you have some)...
smile.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For perfect lossless rips I recommend EAC in secure mode. You can convert wav's or flac with the codec of your choice. DbPoweramp has built-in codecs for apple lossless among many others.

EAC Guides

If you're using a mac, I have heard positive reviews of XLD although I can't speak from personal experience.

X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X

i use a mac and i use XLD to convert everything to whatever format i want. its a great program and there are multiple guides available online on how to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back