What is the best single improvement you have made to your system?
Feb 11, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #16 of 33
Are talking tweaks or components here?

If components, the ZOTL gets my vote, closely followed by a Dynavector 10X Gold L (still not up to my old Cargnegie One, but getting closer at a reasonable cost).

Feb 11, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 33
One word:

Max

biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 33
Changing from Grado RS2s to Grado HP-1s

Also, I got some better interconnects that improved the sound a noticable bit, and my speakers sounded much better when I changed the cheap 16 gague wire I had with some stranded 10 gague wire.

Feb 11, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 33
Don't really know which component has the biggest effect. When I changed my CD player and my amp (for speakers), I sold the old CD + amp in the same afternoon to a friend. So I never had the A-B comparison, but I did have 2 pair of speakers at home at 1 point, the difference was very noticable.

I also upgraded my interconnector about 4 times until I got the right pair that I am happy with.

So to pick one out is quite difficult, if 1 has to be picked, I have to pick my speakers. The B&W 602 are much better then my old Missions, better bass, midrange but a bit too bright. That's why I use VDH The First ultimate to smooth off the treble a bit.

Feb 11, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 33
Running my pre-amp and source components through an old industrial isolation transformer. It's completely removed the low level hum, caused by cable tv ground loop, from my home theatre/audio system .

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 33
Putting it out of my kids reach.

biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 33
Crescendopower,
Did you buy this setup after hearing it at the meet?I did too.It's funny ,I was just looking at the pics of that setup I posted after the meet.Very sweet!!

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #26 of 33
I bought mine in February of 2001. I tried about 5, or 6 amps before I bought the Wheatfield, and it's the only one I liked enough to keep.
I love the detail that headphones provide, but I was just so used to listening to speakers that I needed an amp to improve the soundstage, (without a processor). Not only did I get a bigger soundstage, but the details stayed. So, for me it's a keeper.

Feb 12, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #29 of 33
I redrivered and spiked the Frieds three years ago while spotting them optimally in my room. Ditched the equalizer.
biggrin.gif

Went from a somewhat floppy equipment stand with sides and glass door (and, of necessity, a cooling fan) to a spiked Sanus open rack with 60# of steel shot and 40# marble slab under turntable. ("just like a great big dead fall hammer . . . ")
biggrin.gif

LAT International silver interconnects and speakers cables and CAIG cleaned and preserved all contacts.
biggrin.gif

Analog frontend replacement with Rega Planar 25/Glider L2 and VPI 16.5.
wink.gif

Digital Frontend replacement - work still in progress with Denon DVM-3700.
wink.gif

Sennheiser HD600 for home and HD590s w/ porta CORDA to go.

JR Power conditioner, hospital grade outlets, unplugged everything from pre-amp convenience sockets and into their own "real" outlets, and moved room lights (w/ rheostats) to another circuit.
biggrin.gif

Now that I can hear the signal source clearly (my wife has accused me of buying all new vinyl and CDs; there's your proof!), I'm in the process of retiring the REALLY bad recordings.
evil_smiley.gif

Since audio reproduction improvement in a progression limited by knowledge and technology, the biggest improvement I have made is to commit to learning more, find new sources of objective information, and make reasonable improvements after the R&D has been paid for by somebody else.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #30 of 33
Optimal speaker placement. It kills me when I go to people's houses and see relatively expensive speakers with bookshelfs in front of them or one speaker much higher than the other, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back