what is the best portable music player to have?
May 12, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #77 of 383
  Hello, my name is Limpidglitch, and I'm a gearoholic.

It is now two years since I last bought a pointless and frivolous device in an attempt to fill the existential void that is 'me'.

That is different. You are in Norway where it is dark all the time
biggrin.gif
 . You have my full sympathy. Better than drinking for sure
beerchug.gif
. Or - wait….

May 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #79 of 383
  How depressing is it to live in a world where you do believe that 400k = 4000k, and that your human senses are so horrible that they can't even tell  (nor can your basic math concept).

Why is it depressing that we can have audibly perfect reproduction from a device that fits in your pocket, can hold months of music, and that costs only a few hundred dollars? That sounds like it should excite audiophiles to me - what would be depressing would be if we really needed 5 different multi-thousand dollar pieces of gear just to run headphones properly. As for our senses being horrible? 60dB of instantaneous dynamic range and 115+dB of long-term dynamic range, across 3 orders of magnitude of frequency response doesn't seem too bad to me. Of course, except for the long term dynamic range, that can be perfectly contained within a 320kbps mp3, or a ~600-900kbps FLAC (if you really want to be paranoid about perfection). Capturing any more makes about as much sense as making sure your HD camera also records into the infrared and ultraviolet.

May 12, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #80 of 383
90% of modern music "enthusiasts" online don't understand the basics of signal chain, and especially the analog part of it.  this leads to all sorts of misunderstandings.

they refuse to acknowledge the golden rule of audio:  garbage in = garbage out.

they accept "good enough" for their source and stupidly spend money down the chain, making superficial improvements to the sound quality. shining turds.

they also exist in a world where most new music released in the last 20 years is, take your pick:

over-compressed / loudness wars / fake instruments / aggressive side chained / parallel multi band compression on every track / over automated / auto tuned / reamped / replaced garbage,

that the very definition of  "sound quality" means nothing to them.  it's loudness and bass.

Of course most of you are beyond that but some still exist in this world of "good enough" digital resolution for audio.  I reject that on principle, if everything is tracked and mixed at 24bit then as soon as the bandwidth limitation is removed it should be released to consumer in that same format, not down sampled for either 1980 or 1999 reasons/limitations.

May 12, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #81 of 383
  90% of  "audiophiles" online don't understand the basics of signal chain, and especially the human part of it.  this leads to all sorts of misunderstandings.

FTFY

May 12, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #82 of 383
Still waiting for FFBookman to ID the lossy files in the file I sent him!

May 13, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #84 of 383
I can spot lossy vs lossless everytime, it's always in the cymbals, MP3 esp 128 just can't reproduce them cleanly.

Ask anyone who has spent serious time in a recording studio. If you know what instruments are meant to sound like 
it's not hard to spot.

It's not blatantly easy either, but even on PC speakers with a bit of concentration it's quite obvious.To me anyway.

May 13, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #85 of 383
  I can spot lossy vs lossless everytime, it's always in the cymbals, MP3 esp 128 just can't reproduce them cleanly.

Ask anyone who has spent serious time in a recording studio. If you know what instruments are meant to sound like 
it's not hard to spot.

It's not blatantly easy either, but even on PC speakers with a bit of concentration it's quite obvious.To me anyway.

Now many will be disappointed that you don't even need a high-end system to identify compression effects.
Honestly, can you describe what to listen for? How does it sound with lossy compression? I never identified more that just a little flatness in the sound, or less nice decay. Is it that?

May 13, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #87 of 383
Now many will be disappointed that you don't even need a high-end system to identify compression effects.
Honestly, can you describe what to listen for? How does it sound with lossy compression? I never identified more that just a little flatness in the sound, or less nice decay. Is it that?

it's not hard to spot.

Repost of Bigshot's challenge

http://www.vintageip.com/test/abbado.m4a

May 13, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #88 of 383
...............music player to have?

May 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #90 of 383
I don't think anyone ever claimed that 128 was adequate. 320 is a different story.

When being "adequate" is all you demand from your music, there's MP3.

Crazy.  This is music --  high fidelity emotional content packaged for our enjoyment and sanity.  Why is "adequate" worth arguing about?

Some other things that are adequate : 

1. maxwell house coffee
  2. inkjet printed art
  3. a 1988 chevy cavalier
  4. duct tape holding 2 things together
  5. plastic-backed guitar cable jacks
  6. VHS tapes
  7. dirty underwear

All of these items accomplish their purpose in an adequate fashion. When adequate is all you need.  Fi is short for fidelity, so mp3's should at least be called what they are.

MP3 = low-fi.   Because of some mental issue it might be "good enough" for you but you can't ignore that it's the bottom of the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back