what is the best portable music player to have?
May 22, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #181 of 383
I think it's better to just put controls on the test to eliminate the influence of bias one way or the other.

May 22, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #183 of 383
All sound science stuff aside (last time I was roasted)....

I am going to be purchasing either a FiiO X3 v.2 or X5 depending on how far the budget goes with a 64GB SD card which should be a good starter. It's about time I purchased  a decent player and this to me is a better option than say an iPod.

Whether all this high-definition is really noticeable is another thing, it will just mean my headphones will sound nicer or at least more full on than a standard headphone out on anything else I have used.

May 22, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #184 of 383
Whether all this high-definition is really noticeable is another thing, it will just mean my headphones will sound nicer or at least more full on than a standard headphone out on anything else I have used.

The result you hoping for will only occur if HD is noticeably better. Or am I missing something?

May 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #185 of 383
Which it isn't. Stick with your iPod, interpolate. It's capable of perfect sound. Spend the money on better headphones and focus on the music.

May 22, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #188 of 383
To be honest I rather not get into the Nyquist Theorem and Fletcher-Munson listening curves debate. It was a desperate attempt to avoid the topic entirely.

I think the output can be only as good as the source and what the output does to the source, so my feeling it is going to be better. I encoded a Scootler live video as 24/48 FLAC as an experiment. I only used some multiband limiting to deal with some sibilant frequencies.

OK not the best example however it seemed to make a marked improvement when compared to the original which seemed lifeless in comparison. Where the source material is already higher, I expect it to be better than standard audio.

A while back, I tried using DVD Architect to create some DVD Audio discs although the actual codec you needed to create a DVD specific was quite expensive and not worth the money for something which isn't serious.

Anyway to summarise, I'm looking at a decent player and one that has a DAC also.

May 22, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #189 of 383
Hey who made you God?

See we can all be sarcastic. Anyway I come here for some advice and what's happened is done, history.

May 22, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #190 of 383
@interpolate Exactly which headphones do you intend to use? Many portable DAPs have amps with limitations. Some can't power low impedance inefficient headphones like many planars or have a sufficient Vp-p to drive many high impedance headphones.
You want a decent DAP that has a DAC, I'd say that they all must have a DAC to produce analog output.

May 22, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #191 of 383
Yeah that's a good point however I meant to say one that has DSD support specifically without resorting to an expensive SACD player.

The headphones I'll be using will be AKG K702 and in the future I'll be buying some Grado headphones (one purchase at a time though).

Portability I will be using Shure SE425 which really need a better amp than my LG G2 currently offers.

May 22, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #192 of 383
  Yeah that's a good point however I meant to say one that has DSD support specifically without resorting to an expensive SACD player.

DSD, IMO not enough content to bother with and no audible improvements that are humanly perceptible. What about the headphones?

May 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #194 of 383
  Which it isn't. Stick with your iPod, interpolate. It's capable of perfect sound. Spend the money on better headphones and focus on the music.

There are plenty of other reason to dislike ipods besides the sound though...

May 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #195 of 383
I despise Apple. End of topic there.

The headphones are secondary at the moment and I get decent sound from what I currently use. Getting a decent player will free up my mobile to be used as a phone.

Headphone amplification is a major reason for this also. Sound accuracy is also thing for me not just warm and musical analogue lushness. 

Well I'll keep you updated as and when I get something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back