What is the best natural iem? westone 4 or AKG 3003?
Apr 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:
Yes, the K3003 can be demoed at Stereo, but there's nowhere in Singapore where you can demo the UERM as far as I know. 

I see, too bad. I borrowed a demo set (from my German dealer) and the full custom UERM ended up sounding very similar, so I think it really worth the effort if you can demo them.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #32 of 64

Quote:
I see, too bad. I borrowed a demo set (from my German dealer) and the full custom UERM ended up sounding very similar, so I think it really worth the effort if you can demo them.

The only place I can get it from that is an authorised dealer here is Jaben. And they don't have it. If I want to buy one, I guess I just have to risk it.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 64

Quote:
Which Customs are better? There is no reason to think that because an IEM is a Custom it is automatically better than a Universal. In fact, the only sonic advantage that I can see for a Custom over a Universal is that, if it is made properly, the manufacturer can control where the Custom sits in your ear. If you can get a proper fit using the right sized tips, on a Universal, this should mostly be a non-issue.

The majority of sonic differences between IEM's are due to the combination of the quality of the drivers employed, crossover (if any), driver placement inside the shell, shell damping and the rest of the design choices that the manufacturer makes. Of course, isolation will be much better on the Custom (which is why they were developed in the first place).

I mean, you could reshell one of the $7.11 Monoprice specials into a custom and it would still sound like a $7.11 Monoprice special...

Yep pretty much.

It's just that the hierarchy of sound typically looks like this

UE600 - UE700 - TF10 - UE10 - UE11 - UERM - UE18Pro

Hence the reason for the common phrase "custom > universal"

The universal (demo unit) of the JH11/JH16 sounds better than all normal universal IEM's I've heard, too, pretty much.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 64

Quote:

Quote:

Yep pretty much.

It's just that the hierarchy of sound typically looks like this

UE600 - UE700 - TF10 - UE10 - UE11 - UERM - UE18Pro

Hence the reason for the common phrase "custom > universal"

The universal (demo unit) of the JH11/JH16 sounds better than all normal universal IEM's I've heard, too, pretty much.

But they also cost almost 3x more than any "normal" universal...

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #36 of 64
Quote:
Quote:

But they also cost almost 3x more than any "normal" universal...

That's when China comes in handy.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #38 of 64

Quote:

True, but it's still 2x more expensive, like the UM miracle is.

- Thousand Sound (popular in China, apparently very positive feedback)

- reshell TWFK universal IEM into a 4-driver CIEM (Thousand Sound, Gui Ling, Heir Audio, Unique Melody)

- JH11

- UM Mage

Cheapest paths to top-end custom IEM sound.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #39 of 64

Quote:

- Thousand Sound (popular in China, apparently very positive feedback)

- reshell TWFK universal IEM into a 4-driver CIEM (Thousand Sound, Gui Ling, Heir Audio, Unique Melody)

- JH11

- UM Mage

Cheapest paths to top-end custom IEM sound.

True, but I have only access to the JH11 and UM mage here out of that list... and boy are they not cheap... 

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #40 of 64

Quote:

True, but I have only access to the JH11 and UM mage here out of that list... and boy are they not cheap... 

buy the cheapest universal TWFK you can, like the UE700 or Rockit R-50 for around $120, enjoy that while you save up money, then reshell it into a 4-driver CIEM later.

At least, that's always my advice for the shortest path up to the highest levels.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #41 of 64

Quote:

buy the cheapest universal TWFK you can, like the UE700 or Rockit R-50 for around $120, enjoy that while you save up money, then reshell it into a 4-driver CIEM later.

At least, that's always my advice for the shortest path up to the highest levels.

Well, I already have the Westone 4R and BA200, so there really is no point to get another IEM for now. Therefore I will just save for a UERM in 1 or 2 years.... 

Well, thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back