What is the best headphone I can get < $200?
Sep 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oSpectrum

New Head-Fier
I've seen the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and I was planning on getting those, but it has been brought to my attention that I can get better headphones.

I really want over-ear headphones, not in-ear on on-ear. I mainly listen to techno as well as indie rock every now and then. I want to get the best audio quality and overall headphone for less than or around $200 (I know it's not very much :xf_eek:). I'm more concerned with audio quality, but I also don't want to look like an idiot wearing them. I don't care about sound stage as all I will be doing is listening to music (and fooling around on FL Studio). I've heard that open-backed headphones get better audio quality, but they also leak audio. Do they really leak that bad? For example, if I was sitting in the front seat of a car, would the person in the row behind me be able to hear what I'm listening to?

Also, I will be walking around a little, so they need to be portable, but that's not my main concern.

Please post what headphone you think would be best for me or if the M50's are my best bet.:)

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 9
O.k first off,yes open cans leak that bad...
I am a technohead and i found audio nirvana with HFI 580/DJ1..
They are my on the go cans..
You should check them out...
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 9
How about starting out with something cheaper but decent.
Superlux HD-668B.
There are semi-open, closed enough that you can still hear the music in public
But will let in enough sound so while you are walking around in public you can hear any danger coming, like a car.
And will not really leak enough to bother anyone around you.
Comes with 2 cords, a 3' and 10'.
Not as robust as other headphones.

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 9
The HFI-580's would be alright. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi, I recommend the hfi-580s also. Love my pair, except for the 10 foot long cable. You should know that several popular suggestions also come with this, including the m50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back