What is the best headphone amp for listening at low/medium volume levels?
Apr 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

monstrance

New Head-Fier
I've been reading this forum with great interest for some while, and have been really impressed by the range and quality of information available as well as the good-spirited nature of the community here. It has allowed me to put together a shortlist of possibilities for audition, but there's one thing that I can't find much information about. And so, I need to ask for your help!

I would like to know what you consider to be the best amplifier for listening at relatively moderate volume levels.

I do not have a strict budget in mind - £1000/$1500+ is fine. New, used and vintage options all considered.

I have been considering lots of options - Earmax Silver, RudiStor HP7C, a Melos SHA-1/Gold (relaibility?), Grace amp/dac, Bayerdynamic A1, Sugden Headmaster, Luxman... These are the models I can source (and perhaps audition) here in the UK. Import options include amps by ASL (the 2A3 based model), Moth Audio, Singlepower, Ray Samuels, though there is nowhere here to try them out before purchase.

Anything that I'm missing here that I should be thinking about? How about quiet listening on a Stax system, or big-bucks options such as deadicated head amps from Cary and EAR? Will OTL designs provide the more satisfying listening at gentle levels? Please let me know!

I am aware that each of these amps have their own distinct qualities, but what I am most interested to know is how much of these qualities - be it refinement, involvement, sparkle or whatever other commendable traits - remain present when used at lowish volumes.

Matching an amplifier with my specific headphones is not important - I currently use a pair of Ultrasone HFI-2200 (open version of Proline 650), but will add whatever will work best (within reason!).

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 8
That's a tough call. I usually tell people to pick an amp that first suits their headphones and then to match their music. So if you're also open to buying another pair of headphones, perhaps look for a pair that does well at low volumes, then find an amp to suit.

Personally, I like the Moth Si2A3 for low level listening. It has plenty of power and the 2A3 tubes add magic at any level. So if it were me, I'd look for a DHT tube amp.

You might have a difficult time sourcing a Moth, however. They've been out of production for a few years and come up used maybe once a year. If you know someone willing to sell, go for it. And before you commit to a Singlepower, do some homework on the company here. It pains me to say that - I loved the PPX3 I had - but be sure to go in with your eyes open.

Also, you might want to consider a custom amp. There are many designs out there and a number of builders who will build anything you want. Your budget would cover sone excellent amps.

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The Moth Si2A3 could well be great option, though getting hold of one is certainly a challenge. I have read that certain Eddie Current amps are sufficiently similar to the classic Moths to be worthy of similar consideration, might this be true? (and for my quiet listening goals also?)

Thanks also for pointing out the necessity of researching the issues surrounding Singlepower - a quick scan suggests that a significantly cautious approach is in order

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 8
For max detail at moderate listening levels, it's hard to beat a pair of Stax Lambda electrostatics. Electrostatics do have a unique presentation to the sound.

Beyond that, I suggest shopping for headphones and then finding the amp which best powers them to you liking. For conventional moving coil headphones (AKG, beyerdynamic, Grado, Sennheiser, Denon, etc), I prefer tubes, particularly single ended triodes. They have an incredible natural purity and clarity to the sound without sounding fatiguing.

Fly out to LA for the Can Jam show at the end of May and you'll be able to hear all sorts of amps, commercial and DIY.

Donald North

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I can imagine an amp with the darkest background is essential for low level listening, and out of the amps I've owned/heard, Gilmore Lite has the darkest background, and maybe you should take a look at GS-1 with your budget.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 8
I prefer my AD900s for quiet low volume listening than the HD650.

May 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 8
My sincere thanks to all of those who contributed to this thread.

After some testing of what was available locally I purchased an Earmax Pro. I find it gives an endearingly full, weighty and rounded sound at both fairly quiet and not-so-quiet levels. Very graceful presentation overall, subtle and enchanting.

The compromise is that it doesn't have the snappy punchiness and precision of devices such as the Graham Slee Reference amp. Still very interested to hear any other suggestions that people might have for top-quality quiet listening - there's definitely room in my life for more than one amp!!

May 19, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 8
I should just add that I initially planned to buy the Earmax as a 'stop-gap' until I had the chance to give a Moth (or similar) a whirl. But the sonic signature is sufficiently interesting that it can surely sit alongside machines which might be technically superior and more transparent.

And even if I did decide to part company with it, it would surely be siezed by my father who was bowled over by it after listening through it to a horn concerto. I think it does horns rather well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back