what is the best headphone/amp combo for under 400?
Jan 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 10
One of the Asus Xonar soundcards plus your choice of headphones from this list: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 10
after looking at that list i think i am going to get a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250...it got best ratings in tier B and It's around 150 with no tax from bhphotovideo.com.

is it okay if i buy Rolls HA43 - 4 Output Stereo Headphone Amplifier (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/155408-REG/Rolls_HA43_PRO_HA43_4_Output.html) instead of a asus xonar soundcard? Because I am not sure if i got any pci-e slot left....(would have to go home to check)

also what do you recommend for a clipon mic?

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Those are good headphones. I used to own them myself. 

If you are a gamer, you want a real soundcard in order to use Dolby Headphone and other gaming features. If you decide against a soundcard, though, you will want a USB DAC and a better headphone amplifier than what you have there. An Audioquest Dragonfly would be a good choice -- you get both a quality DAC and an amp for $100. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm not that knowledgeable about the specific differences between those models, but since you said your budget is $400 total, I would just go the for the STX. Or the DX, since that looks like the top model of the three you listed. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 10
If you go for the cheaper models select the DGX, not the DG as it's the older PCI standard. It may not fully drive the DT 990 250 ohm though (despite whatever the PR claims), but you could easily purchase a reasonably priced external (amp connected via the line outs) in the future. It won't sound bad at all however, quite the opposite.

The STX would be a very good choice too, and is what I would pick given your budget.

Don't forget the new SOundBlasters though.. I have the SBZ and it's a very good card with great drivers (am I really writing this??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back