What is the best desktop usb dac/amp that I can get?
Apr 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zeroakuma

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using the Nuforce HDP Icon and it's pretty compatible with my D7000 and AD2000.

I don't think the HDP really meshes well with my T1 and i thought about buying the lyr/bitfrost combo, but I want something compact like the Burson 160. (I was told that it meshes well with the HD800 which I also want to obtain, but not with the T1)

I'm just drained at this moment...please help me out. Thanks.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 8

The T1 with the Woo Audio WA2 is really something special - no revelation there, do the research and you will
 find the same conclusion.

Dilemma there is if you went down the tubey path - how much cash would you have left over for a decent DAC?

It's a flagship headphone mate - in other words, there's no free lunch if you're expecting supremo results.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Well...that's the game changer. It looks like I need a separate DAC/AMP for the best sound quality
triportsad.gif

Is there something like the Burson 160 USB Dac/Amp?

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Well...that's the game changer. It looks like I need a separate DAC/AMP for the best sound quality
triportsad.gif

Is there something like the Burson 160 USB Dac/Amp?

Burson DS is not a bad option if a small, compact solid state solution is needed on a budget.

You could do a lot worse in that respect - but make no mistake - something like the WA2
 with a quality full sized DAC with decent interconnects is going to cost $$$ and take up
 more desktop real estate but it will be a nicer overall result, assuming you were partial
 to tubes.

Don't take a cheap way out - you'll eventually come around to realising it.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 8
Another good set of amp/dac combos is the current crop of Audio-GD gear.

http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

They have good amp/dac combos at just about every price point from $200 to $2,000 and most are great values for the money.  Only downside is the occasional wait if they are back-ordered. I currently have their NFB-1 dac which is a solid performer.  I was dead-set on getting the new Reference 10 combo but now i'm thinking of just getting the new Bryston amp, then later down the road getting the new Nad M51 dac because I'd really need to step up alot to improve my current dac.  I was very impressed with the new bryston amp as you can see from my impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560499/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston/105

The Bryston amp is probably more than your wanting to spend right now though at $1295.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 8
The 160Ds was used on a review with the T1's and they performed well together. 
Generally Burson amps are known by its tube-like presentation. (warm)

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 8
You can also go for the Benchmark DAC 1 if you want something neutral.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 8
In my opinion many of the dac/amps in-one are mainly dacs and it is problem because than most of the headphones lacks dynamic for example. I recomend you Casea Lyra Digital mk2. Their DAC modul Deneb is quality and almost for free there so you can easily upgrade DAC or some server in future, if you want USB than buy m2tech hiface for it. I can not tell you if it can be comparable with separate highend things which cost 2 or 3 times more because there is reason (not always of course) why it is expensive (premium parts etc). but I can tell that Lyra Digital is in different league than Burson in my experience. There also exist version for T1..
Gilmore X2 from HeadAmp sounds very interesting to me but release date is unknown..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back