What is the Best DAC ?
Jul 4, 2007 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Wiza_Gab

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have a pair of HD650 and my only source is my Powermac G5, I just want to plug my HD650 in my computer and bypass the mac's sound card, so I think I'd need a DAC, that's right ? Or do I absolutely need a combination of DAC+Amp to bypass the mac's sound card ?

My budget would be around $600 but I can go a little higher. I repeat, I only need to plug it on my computer.

Thanks guys!

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks, and is it okay to say that I only need a DAC from the list you gave me to bypass the soundcard of my mac and get a really good sound? ?

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 18
Anyway I see alot of them so which one would you guys recommend me, for let's say $800 MAX ?

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 18
What is the best bottled water for less than 2.00$ a bottle? Personal opinion and preference will dominate any determination as to which is best in DACs. That is one of the main parts of this hobby, discovery of what your preferences are.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 18
Well I don't know how I could discover that, returning every amp I don't like (and I would have to pay the shipping everytime)...I tought there were amp with better price/quality than others...

This one seems good, maybe I could have it for $700 used :
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stello da100
apogee mini dac
benchmark dac1
lavry da10

research those and see if there is anything you like.

Can't lose with any of these. There are differences but until you train your ears/brain to note what those difference may be you would have a hard time noting any. Once you have one and have learn its sound then you can pick those differences up a bit better when you hear the others.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 18
A used Benchmark DAC-1 and Lavry DA10 might be within your reach. Or a brand new Stello DA100. They are all known to bring sound quality for the money.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks, do you know great places to find used audiophile stuff ?

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to check out this thread?
All the DACs money can buy...

The PowerMac G5 have optical out (I think), so check for Toslink. Or USB as an alternative.

That was a fantastic thread. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best bottled water for less than 2.00$ a bottle? Personal opinion and preference will dominate any determination as to which is best in DACs. That is one of the main parts of this hobby, discovery of what your preferences are.

Just don't spill your water on the DAC when testing...

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my opinion, Evian bottled water is the best. When sync with purified ice, the synergy is unbelievable. I preferred the cold feeling when enjoying Evian vs. the more warmth feeling of Evian water without ice. You can try other bottled water and see if it suits your preference, such as:
1) aquafina
2) mountain spring
3) generic tap

You would have to train yourself for differences because it is very subtle between the brands. Hope that clears it up.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, do you know great places to find used audiophile stuff ?

Here or Audiogon.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, Evian bottled water is the best. When sync with purified ice, the synergy is unbelievable. I preferred the cold feeling when enjoying Evian vs. the more warmth feeling of Evian water without ice. You can try other bottled water and see if it suits your preference, such as:
1) aquafina
2) mountain spring
3) generic tap

You would have to train yourself for differences because it is very subtle between the brands. Hope that clears it up.

Exactly and I would have a hard time learning that particular lesson with the different varies of water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back