What is the best $200 receiver...........
Jun 7, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 21
You need to provide more information.

Is this for two-channel (stereo) audio or for multi-channel home theatre system?

Do you intend to use headphones? If so, have you decided on which headphones make and model you will be using?

Do you intend to hook up a turntable and play vinyl records?

Do you listen to FM radio? If not maybe you should consider an integrated amplifier instead of a receiver.

What type of speakers do you have in mind to use with this receiver?

How big is your room?

What type of music/how loud do you like to listen to your music?

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 21
Used NAD of some stripe or another for two channel. Other than that, maybe a used Yamaha or Denon. I'd second the "there are no good $200 receivers" notion, unfortunately.

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 21
Thats not necessarily true--as I'm sure mkmelt will intereject shortly, there are some steals at under $200 dollars in the vintage stereo reciever/integrated amp market. The Marantz 1060B I had was a terrific sounding unit (integrated amp) it was rated at 35wpc into 8ohms, but did a great job driving my Magnepan MMGs and whichever headphones I threw at it. I've read other great things about their 20x0 series recievers... Oh and I've heard great things about vintage luxman as well... I guess It depends on what kind of power your going to need. Read some of Mk's posts on vintage gear, and watch the ebay auctions. You'll come up with somethnig descent in your price point.

Fred

ohh, and I've seen many fisher 400s closing in the ~150 price point which are alleged to be in good - excellent condition.

Jun 7, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 21
Last time I checked, J&R had two Yamaha AX586 integrated stereo amps refurbished for $199. 120 watts per channel, hefty heat sinks and the rest of it. The amp retails for $499, so I'd grab this one if it's still available. You won't find it on their web site. You'd have to call.

Failing that, there's a Marantz integrated that sells for between $200-300 and got tremendous reviews in places like Stereophile.

Jun 7, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
There are no good $200 receivers.

I disagree, expensive gear does not mean necessarily good gear, there are a lot of overpriced pieces on the market, more that what you could find for a real price....the better you go, the more overpriced they go, there is a lot easier to get an overpriced crappy ultra-expensive amp, that a good midgrade one, for a more practical price. I remember that I returned once an expensive multichannel receiver, for a 200.00 stereo one, of the same brand, just because the less expensive sounded a lot better, a more classic and basic design, and had a lot less **** to be broken at the end....

Jun 7, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 21
Of course you can get a great receiver for around $200.
If you are lucky enough found a Fisher 400, it is a very good receiver and a wonderful headphone amp too. Also Marantz 2000, 1000 series, etc...

Jun 7, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 21
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14981

That is what I would get!
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 21
Onkyo & yamaha has some receivers for around $200 dollars. You guys are acking like I what the best receiver. I just want something that sounds better then my Technics SA-EX140 thats all........

Jun 7, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 21
hey
i found a 5425 Marantz reciever with a Gyro at a garage sale for 85 bucks

cleaned it, and resodered some points (one burnt out bulb)

sounded almost a clean as my parents arcam reciever, only a tad bit warmer, which was nice for the B&W 802's.

painted over the old wood trim with a black matt primer, added a rack to it, sold it on ebay for ****loads
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back