What is the absolute best quality over-ear headphone you can buy that doesn't need an amp?
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

theneedledrop

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and after much consideration (terrible for iPod listening, need a decent desktop amp) decided that it seems too much for me. I refunded them and I am going to purchase a cheaper, less power-hungry set of cans.

What is the absolute, top-notch, best quality headphones that don't need an amp? I am going to be listening to them through my iPod Touch 5th Gen and don't want it to get much more complicated than that.

I mainly listen to shoegaze, electronic, hip-hop, but I listen to just about every genre of music. I like bass, but mids and highs are just as important. An all-rounder is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 10
why not just get an amp for your 650s?

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Because even a decent $200 amp and dac is barely scratching the surface with the HD650's. I'd rather be putting my cans to their best potential then just a little bit. I've heard they're crap on portable devices too. HD650's without a top notch amp is like a car with a missing wheel. The HE-400's can handle not having an amp and still sound pretty good. I'm thinking of going for a HE-400 and then later on when I scrape up some cash, I'll purchase a M+M Schitt Stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back