What is Massdrop?
Feb 24, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #16 of 22
I hear you get dinged with nasty import fees if you live outside the US when going through Massdrop.
It depends.
Sometimes you do because it is shipped from the US.
Sometimes you don't because it is not shipped from the US.
Hard to know beforehand so yo may take this into account.
My Kennerton Valis were arrived from Europe for example, so no taxes (even though they would still be cheaper with taxes than ordering directly from Kennerton).

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #18 of 22
Yes this is true. I live in the UK and after having parted with $450 of my money for the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, I had to pay an extra $100 in customs charges.
I do think it was worth it for the overall price I paid, when compared to the price of the TH-X00 Purplehearts bigger brother, the TH900.
"True". You have to pay just the VAT. It's a case by case situation whether or not it makes sense to buy from them. HD 6XX for example is much cheaper than HD 650.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #20 of 22
I've also bought several items from them, including their variants of the Hifiman and Sennheiser 650. Both have been very good buys. I also bought the cavalli hybrid amp and little dot Mk iii.

But be careful. Each new email from the audio community is just too tempting.

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 22
So for the Massdrop THX AAA 789, who's product did they modify? Was the thing itself build by THX? Didn't know they also build AMPs...

I thought THX is just the standart/certificate. But someone must build the Massdrop THX AAA 789, but Drop does not build their own stuff, right?

So who was it?

EDIT: Also, the very same question about the "Monoprice Monolith THX 887"...due to wikipedia, Monoprice is an "[...]online retailer that sells generic-branded consumer electronics under its namesake private label[...]"

So, who manufactured the device?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 22
Massdrop collaborates with well known companies to design and make cheaper alternative versions of already existing products, based on feedback from an online community of enthusiasts.
Thank you! I was wondering the same thing. I have the HD 800, and I was looking at the new HD820 along with the HD800s, and the HD 8XX popped up. I was very perplexed that it was called Massdrop Senn HD 8XX. I'm trying to discern why Sennheiser just does not handle the product on their site as a retuned HD-800? Why a third party? You would think these Audio companies know what their consumers want-especially audiophiles in high-end headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back