What is it with ringtones?
Sep 12, 2007 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
I just don't get the appeal of ringtones. I know I'm in the minority, given that last year's ringtone sales totalled $9 billion USD! That number is 45% of the total worldwide recorded music sales reported by the IFPI. Unbelievable to me.

I understand the point of having a sound that differentiates your phone from everyone else's, but why aren't short, simple sound effects more popular? What makes snippets of popular songs played on a horribly tinny-sounding little speaker appealing?

Any compulsive ringtone buyers here? How often do you change your ringtone? Don't you find them irritating? Does anyone actually enjoy hearing other people's ringtones?

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 32
I have a few different ringtones, but only use one (for all calls) at a time. I just got lazy assigning them to different numbers, since no one really calls me.

And to answer the question, I think people do it because they want others to know who or what kind of music they listen to.

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 32
My favorite ringtones were always the mechanical bells used on the dial-phones I grew up with.

....my Aunts phone still used a crank and her particular ring was three longs, two shorts and a long(if I remember correctly)and ours was simply three shorts.

They were really loud! We used a volume control on ours though.

....a small piece of masking tape on each bell.

I was always glad that the phone was invented by a guy named "Bell" rather than someone called Mr. Fhart.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 32
Any more frogs with their packet hanging out and I'll personally kill that Dutch entrepreneur who perpetrated such an abomination.

In the UK at least, I really don't know anyone who has purchased a ringtone. Ever. Especially when you can so easily put files onto your phone.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 32
I'm with you. Bad songs blaring on awful speakers isn't appealing at all. And paying $2-$4 for the privilege? No thanks. I keep my phone on vibrate or silent mode most of the time, so it doesn't go off in any of my classes.

I'll admit to having a ringtone that I made myself from the Final Fantasy VII victory music, though. /geek

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 32
It let's us make our phones our phones. I use them, but mainly rhythms (zelda theme now) without vocals. They let me identify my phone from everyone else's - especially when you get the 'free phone' that everyone has.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 32
I can't hear my phone with IEMs. So it's ALWAYS on vibrate.

But I agree with you.

BTW, aren't there ways to get custom ringtones for free?

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 32
I have had the same ringtone (that I made) for years. However, I do not find other people's ringtones annoying because I don't pay any attention to them once I know it is not my phone ringing. In most places I have mine on vibrate, but at work I leave the ringer on because I take the phone out of my pocket when I am at my desk.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 32
I've always used a classic ringtone on mine. Everyone has unique ringtones so I get comments like 'That really sounds like a phone'.
confused.gif
There's nothing worse then Jingle Bells ringing in the middle of an audit meeting.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, aren't there ways to get custom ringtones for free?

It depends a lot on your phone and your carrier, but there's usually ways to transfer files from a computer to the cell phone. I used Motorola Phone Tools to put my one ring tone and some new wallpapers on to my RAZR. Free (ish... my copy of MPT isn't super legal) and easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back